Day 23 with broody

Ais

Songster
Apr 25, 2021
My broody was sitting on 3 eggs, one hatched yesterday on day 22, this morning I checked her and she was sitting about a foot away from where she made her nest. No eggs left in the nest. I felt under her (without lifting her) and the eggs were still whole. The temperature here went from being dry and 80s to wet and 50s over the weekend and then dry and 60s yesterday. I’ve heard change in humidity and temperature can impact hatching. My questions are: why would she move her eggs and I keep reading about helping/not helping chicks by making a tiny hole in the egg - should I do this? Is day 23 too late?

Also, she is separated safely from the rest of the flock, so no other bird bothered her into moving.

Thanks to anyone for any advice.

Ok, I’ve never candled an egg before. All I have is a big flashlight or my phone flashlight… not sure either would work. Also not sure if moving an egg out from under mama at this point would hurt it?

Thank you all for the info.

A regular flashlight or phone light will work. Just shine it through the fat end of the egg. Not sure why she moved her nest but at least she is still sitting on the eggs. What day did she start sitting?

Ok, I’ve never candled an egg before. All I have is a big flashlight or my phone flashlight… not sure either would work. Also not sure if moving an egg out from under mama at this point would hurt it?

Thank you all for the info.
Phone will work if you take the egg in to a dark room...closet.

Back
Top Bottom