Dead duck egg? Day 28

Prince77

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2024
This is my first duck egg I’m incubating and today is day 28. I’m not seeing any movement and no piping. Can anyone tell from the pictures if the egg is dead? I don’t know what I’m looking for or at. There’s no dark spots on the outside of the egg.

Attachments

• IMG_5338.jpeg
    IMG_5338.jpeg
    324.4 KB · Views: 31
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gg-it-is-in-the-back-of-the-air-cell.1405098/

Not sure if that will help at all. I only hatched for the first time nearly 2 weeks ago and i had two of them die in the egg as well it was very hard to tell what was going on in the egg because it was soo dark but i did notice i could no longer see veins at the opposite side of the dark part of the egg but i could still see veins in the ones that were alive. It was quite hard to see them but i could see the veins if i candled the pointy end of the egg not the air cell side. Sorry i have only done it once and dont have much experience at all. If it is alive and has pipped or pushing on the air cell you should see some movement on the air cell i found it a little hard to see when i checked but i could see it after some time. Can you hear anything if you put the egg to your ear? Sorry im just trying to think of anything you can try.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...gg-it-is-in-the-back-of-the-air-cell.1405098/

Not sure if that will help at all. I only hatched for the first time nearly 2 weeks ago and i had two of them die in the egg as well it was very hard to tell what was going on in the egg because it was soo dark but i did notice i could no longer see veins at the opposite side of the dark part of the egg but i could still see veins in the ones that were alive. It was quite hard to see them but i could see the veins if i candled the pointy end of the egg not the air cell side. Sorry i have only done it once and dont have much experience at all. If it is alive and has pipped or pushing on the air cell you should see some movement on the air cell i found it a little hard to see when i checked but i could see it after some time. Can you hear anything if you put the egg to your ear? Sorry im just trying to think of anything you can try.
Any help at all I appreciate! I did see veins so I’m hopeful! I’m only hatching one so I have nothing to compare it to. But thank you!

Have you had any movement yet?
Very slight movement yesterday and only a couple times. This morning nothing. I don’t see an internal pip. The veins are red, it looks healthy. Doesn’t smell. It’s day 30 now. It’s a Swedish blue duck egg.

What is your temperature in the incubator? If its lower then maybe why its taking longer. Im really not sure if it would be worth putting a tiny saftey hole im the air cell? I really hope it hatches

Back
Top Bottom