Dealing with a killer Great Horned Owl -- any tips?

Iain Utah

Crowing
12 Years
Dec 17, 2011
We've had a lot of birds for many years, and 99.9% of the time they are free-range 24/7. We have a barn approx 100 ft from house that we leave wide open for our birds, and keep it well-lit. Our chickens roost on a horse stall rail, and our geese and ducks all go inside the barn at night when it is super cold.

We've dealt with many predators over the years, but last night was a shocker for us. Around 9pm, our 33 geese came to our back door, huddled in the cold snow, acting scared. My husband ran out to the barn and caught a GHO eating our polish rooster inside. Both were startled and the GHO flew off. Our remaining chickens were huddled in a ball around our cochin rooster in the corner of the stall, but ok. My husband went back out to patrol at least 3 more times and all seemed quiet. When I got up this morning, my geese were still out my back door so I immediately went out to the barn. I found most of my flock hiding under tables, very traumatized, but two more were gone.

Losing three chickens in one night is not ok. If this were a raccoon or mink, we'd set traps everywhere. If this were a fox, we'd camp out in barn with a shotgun. But an OWL? I contacted local state and federal officials for advice. I was told to set up decoy owls, motion sensors that set off noise or flashing lights, destroy nests (if I can find it), and to harass, but not kill, the owl. I can use water guns or pistols with pyrotechnics to scare it off. If this does not work, I can pay someone with a permit to come out and trap it.

Tonight, we will lock everyone up. But we must deal with this owl. I sure would love to hear tips for convincing this owl to move on (since I can't kill it), before paying $$$ to have someone come out to trap it. Thanks for your help!!

You are in a difficult predicament. Only suggestion I have,,,, is to lock up your barn as soon as it gets dark. The owls are nocturnal usually, so beat them to the barn and close it.
I understand why owls, hawks, eagles and other animals are Federally protected. If they were not, they would quickly be wiped out, and nonexistent. They are necessary in our eco-system. :thumbsup
We need to protect our flocks, so they are safe, and predators seek out other sources of food. I am a realist, and do know that all things need to eat. If the predators would be missing, their natural prey would over-run the area. Just think how Australia is dealing with the rabbits there. Birds of prey do control rodents, and other small animals, but will choose the easiest meal available.
Sorry for your losses.:hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Sorry for your losses, you've been really lucky until now.
The birds need safe housing at least at night, because at least the chickens are totally vulnerable then. I'd plan on keeping all the birds in a safe place 24/7, for at least ten to fourteen days, hoping that your owl gives up and leaves.
Here that's what we do when there's a hawk attack, every time. We do have a safe coop and run, so there's no free range time for two weeks. The birds are annoyed, I'm annoyed, but nobody else gets killed!
You can try all the things mentioned, but generally predators learn that such stuff is harmless, and return anyway. Spend the money and effort having safe housing instead!
Mary

Decoy owls and motion activated lights and noises can work pretty well. A livestock guardian could be another option in the long run.

An idea I just had that could be helpful--try hanging bird netting up where the owl has to fly through to get to the chickens. They can't see the stuff so hitting it should confuse the crap out of them. It's pretty cheap so you could keep putting it up even if it gets torn by the owl. I would think a combo of that and a motion activated light or noise maker down below in case the owl tries to go under would be pretty effective, especially if you can switch up the motion activated device so that they can't just get used to it.

I operate based on first hand experience. Others likely harvest off the internet.

Look back at previous years linked in the most recent thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/great-horned-owl-fun-in-2020.1344059/#post-22072091

I have very good owl control, yet have owls. I see and watch them a lot. They do not just sneak up on you and steal birds. They have limits in terms of what they can do. Keeping them out of barn is first objective. I now use dogs housed in barn with chickens. Chickens roosting outside in trees protected by additional dogs that run about. I am familiar with approaches suitable for trapping / dispatching and they are not legal for keepers of backyard poultry. Molesting nest is not legal either.

You are in a difficult predicament. Only suggestion I have,,,, is to lock up your barn as soon as it gets dark. The owls are nocturnal usually, so beat them to the barn and close it.
I understand why owls, hawks, eagles and other animals are Federally protected. If they were not, they would quickly be wiped out, and nonexistent. They are necessary in our eco-system. :thumbsup
We need to protect our flocks, so they are safe, and predators seek out other sources of food. I am a realist, and do know that all things need to eat. If the predators would be missing, their natural prey would over-run the area. Just think how Australia is dealing with the rabbits there. Birds of prey do control rodents, and other small animals, but will choose the easiest meal available.
Sorry for your losses.:hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
great post!!!!:goodpost::goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom