Depluming mites return soon?

hollytruitt

Chirping
Apr 16, 2023
Back in late February/early March I treated entire flock with Ivermectin. 2nd dose 10 days apart. Found new patches on 3 different hens. Skin is crusty and two others skin is red. I have a flock of 21.

Can they return this quickly or is it that the Ivermectin did not eradicate the mites?

I will be doing a clean out of coop today and treat with Premethin since I do not have PSP at this time.

I read somewhere in this forum about Eprinex but that is pricey!! I am tempted to get that but I still have a 3/4 bottle of Ivermectin. This is the pour on version.

Thoughts?? Can they come back or still have some holding on from last treatment?

I haven't found anything about prevention of mites.....sigh
So over this.

Thanks!!

Back in late February/early March I treated entire flock with Ivermectin. 2nd dose 10 days apart. Found new patches on 3 different hens. Skin is crusty and two others skin is red. I have a flock of 21.

Can they return this quickly or is it that the Ivermectin did not eradicate the mites?

I will be doing a clean out of coop today and treat with Premethin since I do not have PSP at this time.

I read somewhere in this forum about Eprinex but that is pricey!! I am tempted to get that but I still have a 3/4 bottle of Ivermectin. This is the pour on version.

Thoughts?? Can they come back or still have some holding on from last treatment?

I haven't found anything about prevention of mites.....sigh
So over this.

Thanks!!
Mites lay eggs. None of the treatments including Ivermectin kill the eggs.
All mite and lice infestations require a course of treatment in order to properly eradicate them.

Spray the coop and birds every 5 or 6 days with the permethrin for at least 3 or 4 times.

Could you actually see mites?

There are a lot of threads and links to read about depluming mites which can lead to feather loss, itching, and cannibalism. Have you had a vet confirm them, to differentiate between other mites? A microscope and skin scraping might be good. Ivermectin pour on seems to be the main treatment. If you use the 5 mg per ml, dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight applied to the back of the neck over the spine, and then repeated in 10-14 days. Sulfur powder can be applied to dust baths and for treatment of the coop. Nustock cream which also has sulfur and pine oil, can be applied to bare areas on the chickens. I would also spray the coop with either Permethrin 10 diluted for mites once every 30 days, or use Elector PSP. Permethrin works on regular mites if used at 7 day intervals, 2-3 times. I hope that you have some luck getting rid of them, but getting confirmation of the mite may be helpful. It also takes a lot of repeated persistence and regular treatment to control them. Wild birds can bring in all sorts of mites and lice.

Last edited:
So what do you mean course of treatments?
I mean one has to treat repeatedly. One treatment doesn't do the job because the eggs hatch and the problem returns.
Different mites have different life cycles. Repeated treatments should be tailored to the life cycle of the mite you are dealing with.

There are a lot of threads and links to read about depluming mites which can lead to feather loss, itching, and cannibalism. Have you had a vet confirm them, to differentiate between other mites? A microscope and skin scraping might be good. Ivermectin pour on seems to be the main treatment. If you use the 5 mg per ml, dosage is 0.1 ml per every 2 pounds of weight applied to the back of the neck over the spine, and then repeated in 10-14 days. Sulfur powder can be applied to dust baths and for treatment of the coop. Nustock cream which also has sulfur and pine oil, can be applied to bare areas on the chickens. I would also spray the coop with either Permethrin 10 diluted for mites once every 30 days, or use Elector PSP. Permethrin works on regular mites if used at 7 day intervals, 2-3 times. I hope that you have some luck getting rid of them, but getting confirmation of the mite may be helpful. It also takes a lot of repeated persistence and regular treatment to control them. Wild birds can bring in all sorts of mites and lice.
I have read so many threads on this subject. No vets here will see chickens. Do you do a full clean out of coop? I already did that in late February with Elector PSP. I. no longer have that (psp). All signs point to depluming mites.

Mites are one of the hardest things to get rid of. It can be overwhelming. But just keep at it. What type of floor and bedding do you have? Can you see any evidence of other mites on the roosts, walls, or floor. If you are still dealing with them, I would do a complete coop cleanout. Do you know any people who can look at a microscope to see what the mites look like?

Mites are one of the hardest things to get rid of. It can be overwhelming. But just keep at it. What type of floor and bedding do you have? Can you see any evidence of other mites on the roosts, walls, or floor. If you are still dealing with them, I would do a complete coop cleanout. Do you know any people who can look at a microscope to see what the mites look like?
No other evidence of mites. I know depluming mites burrow under skin and live in feather shafts.

Back
Top Bottom