Depression Era recipes..(and others like it)

More from the Eisenbeis recipe collection.

(Comment from The Yakima Kid: Just as the Inuit have many words for snow, and the British have many words for drunk, so do the Germans from Russia have many words for cabbage rolls: Halupsy, Halupsi, Krautwickel, Holubzi, and Kaluschken are only a few - in English, the Germans from Russia often call them "Pigs in the Blankets." In keeping with the presence of dough in many meals, one variant is to chop up a large green cabbage, brown 1.5 pounds of ground beef with a large onion and then add the cabbage with salt and pepper to taste, and cook covered until the cabbage is tender, about 15 - 20 minutes.. While the filling is cooling, make up a batch of bread dough, roll it out about 1/8" thin, in squares or 6" - 8" rounds, bring up the edges, pinch closed, and then bake in the oven on a greased baking sheet at about 350 degrees F until well browned).

Halupsi
1 cup rice, 1 pound lean ground beef, 1 medium onion, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Cook rice for 10 minutes. Drain, rinse, and mix with remaining ingredients. Set aside.
1 large head green cabbage
Blanch several cabbage leaves in a large kettle of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove leaves and drain in
colander. Repeating process until all leaves are blanched. Spoon beef mixture onto a cabbage leaf. Roll up leaf
and place in greased baking dish tucking sides of cabbage under the roll. Repeat process using remaining beef and
cabbage.
Tomato juice or V-8 juice
Pour tomato juice over cabbage rolls in baking dish until several inches deep. Do not submerge cabbage rolls. Bake
uncovered at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
Kartofelwergele
3 cups boiled potatoes, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 2 eggs, 1 1/2 cups flour, Salt, Pepper
Mash potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and onion. Let cool. Add eggs and flour. Mix well. Fill a medium-sized
kettle with water and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil. Divide dough into 3 parts. Form 3 long 1 inch diameter rolls on
floured board with your hands. Cut into 1 inch slices. Drop into boiling water. Remove when they float on top.
Drain in colander. Repeat process until all slices have been boiled. Drain well. Deep fry until brown. Drain well on
paper towels. (Boiling the slices before deep frying is optional.)

This is the Russian version of the Halupsy, or Halupsi. They refer to it as Galupsi.

Halupsy - Galupsi
Elaine Morrison, e-mail message to Michael Miller.

In looking at the AHSGR and GRHS cookbooks, I find several variations of the recipe for what German-Russians call Halupsy. A number of years ago when dining at a hotel in Kiev, I was very pleased to see familiar halupsy on my plate but the waitress corrected me and said that it was Galupsi.
A large head of cabbage is wilted by covering it with boiling water for a few minutes.
The leaves are separated and on each leaf is placed a mixture of ground meat, either beef or pork, and rice, either raw, precooked or Minute Rice. Onion, garlic, salt and pepper are added to taste. Roll or fold up the leaf into a roll; fasten it with a toothpick and place in a kettle.
At this point, one uses their own creative talents. The cooking time will depend upon the type of rice that you use, and whether or not you cook the rolls in a kettle or in the oven.
1. The rolls may be covered with water to which 2 Tbsp vinegar are added.
2. Cover rolls with one can tomato paste diluted with one can water. Add water to cover.
3. Cover rolls with one or two cups sauerkraut or sauerkraut juice; add water to cover.
My favorite is quite removed from that of our ancestors.
1 lb hamburger and 1/2 lb pork sausage, browned and drained
1 small grated onion
2 eggs
1/2 cup raw rice
salt and pepper to taste
salt and pepper to taste
After rolling the meat mixture in the cabbage leaves, cover them with a sauce made of:
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup brown sugar
2 small cans tomato sauce
1 303 size can sauerkraut or a smaller can plus a can of juice
Bake three hours covered at 375 degrees. Add a bit of water if the rolls seem too dry.
This is great when serving company because it can be prepared many hours before that last minute rush, and it also makes the house smell wonderfully.

yakima kid-- love love love your story. My SIL makes gulumpki , not sure of spelling, once year with all her female relative. . . . .I have been interested in the recipe as it is good food.

From my family I have two cookbooks: One from my grandmother and the other from her sister. IT is the same book, put together by the women of their church. My aunt liked to p aly witht he recipes and wrote in her version next to the original!! Usually just different amts of the same ingredients. lol

yakima kid-- love love love your story. My SIL makes gulumpki , not sure of spelling, once year with all her female relative. . . . .I have been interested in the recipe as it is good food.

From my family I have two cookbooks: One from my grandmother and the other from her sister. IT is the same book, put together by the women of their church. My aunt liked to p aly witht he recipes and wrote in her version next to the original!! Usually just different amts of the same ingredients. lol

Galumpki? Is that another name for cabbage rolls?
lau.gif
My first husband's father was Polish-American, and I believe they called them "Galobski?"

Germans from Russia in your family? Or Romanians? Or?

I love food. I love a lot of food. Which explains why I have the sleek shape of a harbor seal.
gig.gif

Whoa, hey.
How have I missed this thread for the last five years?
I'm in!
More in a parasitic way because I do not have any recipes like this to add..
My mom was 'a can and a plan' woman....minus the plan.

The peanut butter cookies from page one might get tried next time I want something sweet.

Quote: SIL is Polish. Pronounced gulumpkis-- cabbage stuffed with a yummy filling.

I love food too-- I can eat more of good food than crappy food. Just ate a bowl of frozen cherries. NOthing fancy but lots of health benefits.

As I have read thru the recipes, I have been amazed at the lack of fresh fruit and especailly vegies as there wer the Victory gardens, so I thought.

SIL is Polish. Pronounced gulumpkis-- cabbage stuffed with a yummy filling.

I love food too-- I can eat more of good food than crappy food. Just ate a bowl of frozen cherries. NOthing fancy but lots of health benefits.

As I have read thru the recipes, I have been amazed at the lack of fresh fruit and especailly vegies as there wer the Victory gardens, so I thought.

Prior to widespread home refrigeration, fruit generally came canned or dried and fresh was only available in season, often at rather high cost in areas far from fruit growing areas.

I realized that life in the Pacific Northwest was very different when I realized that to my mother, canning fruit was an annual event, while my eastern Colorado relatives craved foods that struck me as odd, such as raisin pie. In the PNW, maybe elsewhere, too, there used to be public canneries operated by the city where housewives could go, cut and prepare and process their food using a city owned massive cannery retort and actual metal cans. These were originally promoted for reasons of food safety and later seem to have been abandoned with the rise of convenience foods and fewer U-Pick operations.

Victory Gardens didn't pop up until WWII. Throughout the 1930s, the early government loan programs actually discouraged any "agricultural activities" by home buyers. In cities like Seattle and Portland, people often kept dozens of chickens and even dairy cows in their urban backyards - and in Oregon a contest for best poultry project in the city of Portland paid $100 first prize and $50 second prize, at a time in the very early years of the 20th Century when that was a very large amount of money, in an era when the average annual wage nationwide was $574 per year.

The kids made money with these projects, selling poultry meat, eggs, feathers, and manure throughout their neighborhoods.

Here are some statistics from 1910 that help to put the prizes in context:
Occupation

Income

Average of all Industries
$ 574/year
State and Local Government Workers
$ 699/year
Public School Teacher
$ 492/year
Building Trades
52 ¢/hour
Working week: 45.2 h.
Medical/Health Services Worker
$ 338/year

Product
Price
Butter (Pound)
$ .39
Eggs (Dozen)
$ .36
Rice (Pound)
not available
Washing Machine (non-electrical)
$ 7,15
Bicycle
$ 11,95

That is really interesting.

Amazing that govt workers make the most-- they make on par with teachers now.

I suspect more people did many methods of preserving foods and not just eating fresh. Fresh was most likely in season produce, and during that time as much food as possible was "put up" for future use when those foods would not be available. HOnestly I dont know a whole lot, just peicing together the cycle of gardening and needing to eat. lol

I'm wondering where the meals are that were made with dandilion greens picked from the yard or road side . . or were these lost for some reason. No wild mushrooms?

THere are folks here on BYC that still hunt and I imagine squirrel soup is as popular now as it was 100 years ago.

I'm wondering ifthe differences in recipes is city dwellers vs country, and who had access to what . . .

One of the ways they used to preserve meats was by smoking. I don't have any recipes to share but I do have a link for a little smoke house that doesn't look terribly difficult and its very nice looking to boot. So, without further adieu...

http://homestead-and-survival.com/diy-cedar-smoke-house/

Take a look at this little beauty. I'd like one just like it, only a little bit bigger. I'd like to be able to smoke large chunks of meat or at least lots and lots of strips of meat.

That is really interesting.

Amazing that govt workers make the most-- they make on par with teachers now.

I suspect more people did many methods of preserving foods and not just eating fresh. Fresh was most likely in season produce, and during that time as much food as possible was "put up" for future use when those foods would not be available. HOnestly I dont know a whole lot, just peicing together the cycle of gardening and needing to eat. lol

I'm wondering where the meals are that were made with dandilion greens picked from the yard or road side . . or were these lost for some reason. No wild mushrooms?

THere are folks here on BYC that still hunt and I imagine squirrel soup is as popular now as it was 100 years ago.

I'm wondering ifthe differences in recipes is city dwellers vs country, and who had access to what . . .

There are lots of wild mushrooms in the Pacific Northwest, but no one we knew ate them because so many of them were deadly. One problem is that although the above ground fruiting body may appear and type out as safe, there can actually be a mix of two different kinds of mushroom below ground, and so even one that looks safe could be toxic as it would have cells from the toxic type as well.

A very elderly acquaintance of mine died from eating poisonous mushrooms; he thought they were the kind that got you high. (He was that kind of old buy in his 80s, one reason he was an acquaintance, not a friend.) His legal name was really "Stupid" - and one of the local radio stations had fun with that one combined with his dying from eating toxic mushrooms.

Dandelion greens and a number of other plants were used as pot herbs, as far as I know. Also huckleberries, salal, and a bunch of other plants were eaten.

Ever read anything by Euell Gibbons? There used to be a joke about "playing the Euell Gibbons game after he made a series of commercials for a breakfast cereal where he announced that this cereal "tasted like wild hickory nuts." The way the game worked was that the first one to find and eat something that tasted like wild hickory nuts and survive was the winner.

Wild plants involve serious caution. Some years back a river trip in Oregon ended tragically when guides who knew something, but not enough, picked a species of hemlock and confused it with wild carrot. Several of the tourists and at least one of the guides ate it; two long term Oregon residents, possibly state natives, refused because they were pretty sure it was hemlock. A number of people died, including, I believe, one of the guides who ate it.

Back
Top Bottom