Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I appreciate the offer, but I make enough when I sell hatching eggs off the Crackers to cover my costs. If these projects don't bear the fruit I want then I'll try some JGs.

I forgot to mention that concerning black, I don't necessarily believe it repels predators. But I do believe that mottled black has a camouflage advatange in the woods of the Southeast. This was somewhat proven by the creation of the Carolina bantam. I have personally noticed that birds that are mostly black with light spots mixed throughout blend into the dark hardwoods here better than natural junglefowl colors.
I'm certain your projects will bear fruit regardless. I am also certain I will eagerly await updates and an opportunity to buy when they are ready!

I forgot to mention that concerning black, I don't necessarily believe it repels predators. But I do believe that mottled black has a camouflage advatange in the woods of the Southeast. This was somewhat proven by the creation of the Carolina bantam. I have personally noticed that birds that are mostly black with light spots mixed throughout blend into the dark hardwoods here better than natural junglefowl colors.
I haven't myself taken note of this, but I can absolutely agree. The amount of mottling that has spread throughout mine is astounding. Being that initially their were only 6 anconas, both rose and straight comb. I have to say that now it is no surprise to see at least 1 out of every brood with some degree of it. Also, I get a lot of autosomal barring type chicks that lose most of it but keep black spots. Think mottling, but instead of white at the tips of some feathers it is black. Weather it is camo or something else I cannot say, but they are both prolific in my group.

0199B516-6E6C-4C80-8DE0-DEA3F6A67780.jpeg

Its hard to find pics of Carolina bantams online. This is the best I could find.

For those that don’t know, the Carolina bantam is a breed of feral woods chicken that was developed by a poultry researcher in the 1960s by allowing various bantams to breed with red Junglefowl hybrids and each other in a free range farm setting then turned loose in some Georgia river bottom woods where they survived as wild birds. Black was apparently the color survival favored most.

I appreciate the offer, but I make enough when I sell hatching eggs off the Crackers to cover my costs. If these projects don't bear the fruit I want then I'll try some JGs.

I forgot to mention that concerning black, I don't necessarily believe it repels predators. But I do believe that mottled black has a camouflage advatange in the woods of the Southeast. This was somewhat proven by the creation of the Carolina bantam. I have personally noticed that birds that are mostly black with light spots mixed throughout blend into the dark hardwoods here better than natural junglefowl
View attachment 2827430

Its hard to find pics of Carolina bantams online. This is the best I could find.

For those that don’t know, the Carolina bantam is a breed of feral woods chicken that was developed by a poultry researcher in the 1960s by allowing various bantams to breed with red Junglefowl hybrids and each other in a free range farm setting then turned loose in some Georgia river bottom woods where they survived as wild birds. Black was apparently the color survival favored most.
That’s very solid reinforcement for why I’d want a black survival bird. Doesn’t have to be pretty for me... just provide meat and eggs and survive.
Bullfrog where do you get your information from? Are there any books you’d recommend that you’ve read?

That’s very solid reinforcement for why I’d want a black survival bird. Doesn’t have to be pretty for me... just provide meat and eggs and survive.
Bullfrog where do you get your information from? Are there any books you’d recommend that you’ve read?
There is scant info available on the Carolina bantam or on junglefowl hybrids in the Southeast. Here’s one of the best writeups I’ve found that discusses both:

https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1762&context=etd

There is scant info available on the Carolina bantam or on junglefowl hybrids in the Southeast. Here’s one of the best writeups I’ve found that discusses both:

https://digitalcommons.georgiasouthern.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1762&context=etd
So after skimming a good portion of this educational document it seems that birds in captivity lost wing length and spur length from their ancestral counterpart? Also, black as previously stated seemed to be a common coloration.

Are these your biggest takeaways from this information? Thanks, I hope you are well.

So after skimming a good portion of this educational document it seems that birds in captivity lost wing length and spur length from their ancestral counterpart? Also, black as previously stated seemed to be a common coloration.

Are these your biggest takeaways from this information? Thanks, I hope you are well.
If you look at the data it is also a good reminder that your F1 crosses between dissimilar birds can be significantly larger than either parent. Keep that in mind when you start to cull. A giant rooster or hen may not throw offspring of the same size if they are early crosses.

If you look at the data it is also a good reminder that your F1 crosses between dissimilar birds can be significantly larger than either parent. Keep that in mind when you start to cull. A giant rooster or hen may not throw offspring of the same size if they are early crosses.
So how do I keep the size of the F1s?

Back
Top Bottom