Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I haven't heard of Balds taking livestock around here, but I think the one that landed near my neighbor's goose wasn't a coincidence. They're definitely out hunting small game in these fields, I just hope they have enough between that and the river to keep them full.

I haven't heard of Balds taking livestock around here, but I think the one that landed near my neighbor's goose wasn't a coincidence. They're definitely out hunting small game in these fields, I just hope they have enough between that and the river to keep them full.
Back on post #102 I documented where a bald eagle (juvie) killed my free range Blueface stag that was a part of this breeding project. I think that’s what had Number 1. Possibly the same eagle. I’ve been having problems with the juvie eagles killing my stags for over a year. Seems like they key in on red roosters. I have not known one to kill any of my hens. I have speculated that they are picking off roosters blinded after being attacked by the brood cock but I cannot confirm that theory. Otherwise I don’t know how the eagles are agile enough to catch them where normal hawks are not. But when I lost the Blueface no mature brood cock was out on free range.

A bald eagle once dive-bombed my turkey decoys while turkey hunting. I am also aware of two confirmed bald eagle kills of calves by the state wildlife agency my cousin investigated and confirmed.

I am convinced they’re ravenous predators of a lot more than just fish. The historical documents pre-conservation era and a few published accounts in journals in the contemporary era seem to bear that out. The reason we perceive bald eagles to be mostly fish eaters is simply the fact that the eagles that survived DDT were fish eating populations. There once were more generalized predatory populations across the US that are returning to their old habits now that eagles are no longer rare.

57E974A0-0BCE-4FEB-881E-F4016FCCAB32.jpeg
ED1E3826-3E92-49E1-9458-1044FD4210F3.jpeg

Center cockerel is the singular chick I produced crossing Number 1 to the American that lays the blue eggs. The four other chicks are pure Cracker pullets of the same age. I think this cockerel looks excellent. I have just hatched some more from this crossing and if Number 1 survives his wound in good health, I intend to make many more. This looks like it will produce the larger Cracker that I want without sacrificing the hybrid junglefowl look that defines the line.

View attachment 3001022View attachment 3001023

Center cockerel is the singular chick I produced crossing Number 1 to the American that lays the blue eggs. The four other chicks are pure Cracker pullets of the same age. I think this cockerel looks excellent. I have just hatched some more from this crossing and if Number 1 survives his wound in good health, I intend to make many more. This looks like it will produce the larger Cracker that I want without sacrificing the hybrid junglefowl look that defines the line.
View attachment 3001022View attachment 3001023

When will you be crossing indo to everything? My property is under contract and I will be buying acreage soon.

I’ll probably be looking to buy genetics from you in May or June. What do you think you’ll have available?

When will you be crossing indo to everything? My property is under contract and I will be buying acreage soon.

I’ll probably be looking to buy genetics from you in May or June. What do you think you’ll have available?
Well right now Indo is on free range while N1 recuperates and he’s breeding… everything. I can’t often observe N1 breeding hens but Indo mounts a hen every few minutes. If nothing happens to Indo, every egg I got will be fertilized by him I imagine. If N1 survives his wounds then I’m likely to keep him cooped all Summer to crank our Americans x Crackers.

Well right now Indo is on free range while N1 recuperates and he’s breeding… everything. I can’t often observe N1 breeding hens but Indo mounts a hen every few minutes. If nothing happens to Indo, every egg I got will be fertilized by him I imagine. If N1 survives his wounds then I’m likely to keep him cooped all Summer to crank our Americans x Crackers.

I’m sorry about N1 being wounded. I’m sure he will survive or his offspring will leave a lasting legacy.

I wonder if I could get a sort of mixed bag of all Indos offspring when the time comes?

Or perhaps I should go with whatever you would recommend.

Back on post #102 I documented where a bald eagle (juvie) killed my free range Blueface stag that was a part of this breeding project. I think that’s what had Number 1. Possibly the same eagle. I’ve been having problems with the juvie eagles killing my stags for over a year. Seems like they key in on red roosters. I have not known one to kill any of my hens. I have speculated that they are picking off roosters blinded after being attacked by the brood cock but I cannot confirm that theory. Otherwise I don’t know how the eagles are agile enough to catch them where normal hawks are not. But when I lost the Blueface no mature brood cock was out on free range.

A bald eagle once dive-bombed my turkey decoys while turkey hunting. I am also aware of two confirmed bald eagle kills of calves by the state wildlife agency my cousin investigated and confirmed.

I am convinced they’re ravenous predators of a lot more than just fish. The historical documents pre-conservation era and a few published accounts in journals in the contemporary era seem to bear that out. The reason we perceive bald eagles to be mostly fish eaters is simply the fact that the eagles that survived DDT were fish eating populations. There once were more generalized predatory populations across the US that are returning to their old habits now that eagles are no longer rare.

That's pretty scary and something I have not heard before and I'm sure a lot of people don't know. I tend to steer towards caution with predators regardless.

a
I’m sorry about N1 being wounded. I’m sure he will survive or his offspring will leave a lasting legacy.

I wonder if I could get a sort of mixed bag of all Indos offspring when the time comes?

Or perhaps I should go with whatever you would recommend.
If all goes well I ought to have a grab bag of genetics. Indo crossed to Crackers, Liege, Wyandottes, EE, RIR, Austrolorp, and of course his F1 sister. I can tell most of the eggs apart. Sometimes the Liege are hard to tell from the Wyandottes when the Wyandotte eggs come out on the lighter side. I would have sworn that last year the Liege eggs were cream but this year they're light brown as are the eggs of the F1 pullet.

Back
Top Bottom