Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
I haven’t for the reason I consider them potential brood cocks until they’ve grown enough to evaluate their quality. Once they’re at the point I decide they’re culls, I’m happy just taking them off the yard. I think of their meat like game meat. I don’t expect it to taste like a store bought chicken. I think of them like little wild turkeys.
I thought about that too, they recommend between 6 and 8 weeks, and that might be a little soon to tell if they are going to be culls .

Although in saying that, it would probably be interesting to see if a brood cock treats them the same after caponing them. I suspect not.
I did a little research on it and if done properly, the wattles and comb don't develop,so they look kind of like hens. I expect the brood cock would just treat them like stags. I think it'd be an interesting experiment.

I did a little research on it and if done properly, the wattles and comb don't develop,so they look kind of like hens. I expect the brood cock would just treat them like stags. I think it'd be an interesting experiment.
If I didn’t mention it in this thread, some of my pure Cracker stags will apparently flush their masculine hormones and live in a state of partial eclipse molt until their 18 month molt. It keeps them alive longer. One of my stags actually temporarily lost an eye to Number 1 (it was hanging out a couple of days then withdrew back and healed). After that wooping, his comb shrunk and his colors turned dark. Number 1 left him alone for the rest of the season. That stag still bred hens though. At 18 months thereabouts, the stag had a big molt and came out bright red and masculine looking. Number 1 killed him the day after I noticed the change.

So I think you’re right. There are hormonal cues they pick up on as to whether a rival needs to be killed or not. I bet a capon will pass under the radar.

I sometimes watch a gamefowl talk show based out of the Philippines. One of the hosts likes to breed his gamefowl stags off colors because he thinks the lack of red throws off other cocks that are hard wired to attack a red rival.

OH gosh please don't tell me you're breeding for this:
p60nkqq70d541.jpg

Back
Top Bottom