Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Today around midday I ran by the farm and fed Azog part of an omelet. This evening after dark I fed him one and a half pork chops cut off the bone into 1/2” and 3/4” wide strips. He ate vigorously. I don’t think he’s eating from the feed trough with the other chickens but has an appetite when food is offered. I’m going to feed him like this for the next several days and then report his weight to see if targeted feeding of high protein food reverses his weight loss.

28A7969E-5673-4CB6-81EE-714D5F4A4970.jpeg
AF88C00D-23C1-4FF1-90C0-25F15967571E.jpeg
ECD1BD2A-5B85-48C8-9646-AA8A48C4DACA.jpeg
FFC7FCC8-44A5-4B56-962A-98E619C4E7F0.jpeg

Indo got into a scuffle with something today. He’s missing most of his tail feathers and he had some blood on his legs.

I lost Number 1 to an infection from being wounded in the same area. As a precaution I gave Indo an injection of Tylan 50 tonight.

Any ideas what?
No idea. I’ve been home all day on Christmas vacation but I took a nap for a couple of hours. It happened then I think.

I ruled out a bird of prey at first because I didn’t find any feathers to suggest such where Indo apparently put up a fight. But then again I remember that when my turkey hen killed a hawk it didn’t leave loose hawk feathers either.

It wasn’t a four legged predator I think because none are so bold to come in that close to the core farmyard on count of my dogs.

There’s none that could except perhaps a guinea cock. I suspect it was a predator that had Indo by the rump and Indo kicked his way out of it.
That doesn’t look like a flock mate did that. I have had injuries like that on a turkey hen who got away looks like something grabbed them but she got away.
Similar thing has happened to pure phoenix pred grabbed tail instead of skin in that instance.

There’s none that could except perhaps a guinea cock. I suspect it was a predator that had Indo by the rump and Indo kicked his way out of it.
I had a hen that looked like that after a fox got a hold of her. She got away from him and healed up fine, but acted traumatized for almost two weeks afterward.

Back
Top Bottom