Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
Project 2023 breeding season
1. Belgian Game hens x Indian Rampuri Asil broodcock.
2. Offspring from #1 bred back to Belgian Game broodcock.
3. Offspring from #2 to Sumatra broodcock
4. Offspring from #3 bred back to Belgian Game broodcock.
END RESULT: A chicken that is extremely game, size, better flying ability, smart survival skills, anti predator, ultimate free range capabilities.
THOUGHTS?

Attachments

• 20221127_125403.jpg
    20221127_125403.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230116_112215.jpg
    20230116_112215.jpg
    443.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230116_111938.jpg
    20230116_111938.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 19
END RESULT: A chicken that is extremely game, size, better flying ability, smart survival skills, anti predator, ultimate free range capabilities.
THOUGHTS?
Thought #1: seems like a neat idea!
Thought #2: it would probably be best if you started your own thread to generate discussion so as not to confuse the discussion in this thread. I think you’d get more interaction that way also.

THOUGHTS?
My thoughts:

If "extremely game" means that the males fight each other, and kill each other if given a chance, then it sounds like a nuisance to manage them. Roosters that will just spread apart and co-exist on free range would make management easier.

I can see why you want all the other traits, and I hope it works for you. Sounds like a neat project!

THOUGHTS?
Sounds fun but you won't get anything game with everything else you're breeding into your project.

Where did you get game Sumatra and liege? I would not mind have some of those.
Got them here in my home state of Tennessee from different people who raise gamefowl. Names of individuals not important. But you can believe me or not when I say, my birds that I keep (Indian Rampuri Asil, Sumatra game, and Large Belgian Liege Brugse type) are very game. Believe me or not, I don't care. I don't b.s. people.

Where did you get game Sumatra and liege? I would not mind have some of those.
Every Cock I have wants to do nothing but fight, dominate, and breed. They would rather fight then do anything else. I personally don't fight my gamefowl (not my jam), but I am glad that the Cocks I have retained their fighting do or die non-stop personality which I look for so to breed smart protective free range birds. I had to build multiple pens/coops to keep them all separated. I alternate days so all can have time to free range on my property.

Thought #1: seems like a neat idea!
Thought #2: it would probably be best if you started your own thread to generate discussion so as not to confuse the discussion in this thread. I think you’d get more interaction that way also.
I’m ok with him either staying here or opening his own thread, or both. I believe the very mature Liege brood cock he has is something special and I think he’ll get good results crossing to his other orientals like I did crossing Liege to aseel. I encourage him to take advantage of the good genetics he has while he can. I believe in his genetics enough that I’d like to incorporate them into my line in the future.

I’m ok with him either staying here or opening his own thread, or both. I believe the very mature Liege brood cock he has is something special and I think he’ll get good results crossing to his other orientals like I did crossing Liege to aseel. I encourage him to take advantage of the good genetics he has while he can. I believe in his genetics enough that I’d like to incorporate them into my line in the future.
You are more than welcome to anything I have @Florida Bullfrog for your future breeding to your birds. The only reason I got the Sumatra game pair last week from an old cocker here in Tennessee was because the 2yr old Sumatra cock was very very game, good forager, and had great flying abilities in both height, and distance. I also thought that those attributes would go great into breeding a strong free range chicken.
20230119_124136.jpg
20230116_112215.jpg
20230119_111117.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom