Developing My Own Breed Of Large Gamefowl For Free Range Survival (Junglefowl x Liege)

Pics
There will be about 8-9 adults counting Lanky. Then when the 3/4 Crackers get some more size on them I’ll turn them out down there too if the adult flock is doing well.

The idea is that eventually I’ll have no Crackers up at the house, only the terrorfowl, my layers, and my coop bantams. I really need a separate free-range flock established that’s self contained somewhere else. That’s the only way I’ll be able to have 2 flocks of separate lines that are both hazed by the rigors of free ranging. If I can get Crackers established in other parts of the farm I can start offering them again, tempered by growing up in the woods. I actually considering buying some acreage up the road both as some hunting land and to have another place to establish an independent flock.

Azog is 6lb, 10oz this evening.
Azog was 7lb as of several days ago, but I’m using new scales that I don’t totally trust. This weekend I’m going to weigh him on two sets of scales to see what the difference is. If the 7lb is accurate, he’s slowing down. To my eyes, his frame is continuing to grow. His breasts are full and meaty but don’t feel obese.

Well first, Azog read as 7.3lb and 7.2lb between both scales, so they’re pretty close.

Second, I withdrew Lanky off of free range and released Indo. And, well…
83DCE377-E5F7-44A2-B3EC-3CE2EAD0548E.jpeg

59726C99-9BF2-477D-9600-5785EF0ED9C3.jpeg
6041C63F-9AB1-4E19-A6B1-C2D74D3A895E.jpeg

Azog and Indo went at it until dark. Both split the backs of their small toes open.
EEFEBF54-4031-4990-847C-C4FF0D436700.jpeg
2CA1E172-5228-40B9-AC51-FC2428216E19.jpeg

I doctored them up and I think they’ll be fine. To stop this from happening in the morning, I put up cardboard and tarps.

378A7171-E647-4FFB-9E0B-8D51D6E9FC28.jpeg

Tomorrow I plan to move the Crackers to the woods. I have 6 Cracker hens wrangled for it. I will be sending Erik instead of Lanky. I have another plan for Lanky…

Well first, Azog read as 7.3lb and 7.2lb between both scales, so they’re pretty close.

Second, I withdrew Lanky off of free range and released Indo. And, well…
View attachment 3408563
View attachment 3408561View attachment 3408562

Azog and Indo went at it until dark. Both split the backs of their small toes open.
View attachment 3408564View attachment 3408565

I doctored them up and I think they’ll be fine. To stop this from happening in the morning, I put up cardboard and tarps.

View attachment 3408566

Tomorrow I plan to move the Crackers to the woods. I have 6 Cracker hens wrangled for it. I will be sending Erik instead of Lanky. I have another plan for Lanky…

Putting up tarps was the right call. They're looking great

What's you plan for Lanky? And are you still needing Indo? You mentioned a while back he was a genetic steppingstone. And you said Azog is kinda Indo 2.0.

There are a lot of pages . . . Did the hybrid work? Those lieges are amazing, I love their stature and natural plumage!
I have two crosses in development. The first are the Crackers crossed to American games. The second are the Liege crossed to aseel with some American and Cracker buried in them. The thread is the chronicling of it all and even 2 years into the experiment, it's too early to draw conclusions.

What's you plan for Lanky? And are you still needing Indo? You mentioned a while back he was a genetic steppingstone. And you said Azog is kinda Indo 2.0.
Lanky is cooped with one of his daughters and 4 pullets I produced between Erik and a Cracker. While Erik is ranging down in the woods, Lanky is going to be cranking out offspring out of a coop. I'll brood them at the house and throw them down with the woods flock as they grow out.

Back
Top Bottom