Deworming and floppy comb

HH69

Chirping
Nov 4, 2020
Hi,
I have 4 girls, starting to get floppy combs. Otherwise fine. Think time of year I need to do preventatives, little extra flock care. Think I'm going put little apple cider vinegar in their water. I've made them area for dust bath with diatomaceous earth. I can't remember if need to Mix with something else also? I have
panacur liquid from the vet. Because I give to my 4 legged friends.
My chickens weigh about same as my little dogs, would I just follow bottle instructions and give by mouth same dosage because of weight?? If so, are eggs OK to eat or do I toss them for a while?

Any others suggestions for care are very welcomed. They are 3 years old.

That all sounds good to me! Although I'm not sure on the about the panacur, as I've never dealt with it before.

Starting to get floppy combs? I'm not sure what you mean by that.:idunno

I usually wait till I see some symptoms before I treat with anything. Are you seeing symptoms? Then you will know that you are giving them the right stuff.

Usually you don't follow the directions on the bottle for chickens, unless it is actually formulated for chickens. They usually need something different since they are not mammals.

You can also do a lice/mites check. Do you know how? A lot of people on here say DE is more detrimental than helpful.

Starting to get floppy combs? I'm not sure what you mean by that.:idunno

I usually wait till I see some symptoms before I treat with anything. Are you seeing symptoms? Then you will know that you are giving them the right stuff.

Usually you don't follow the directions on the bottle for chickens, unless it is actually formulated for chickens. They usually need something different since they are not mammals.

You can also do a lice/mites check. Do you know how? A lot of people on here say DE is more detrimental than helpful.
When a chicken's comb starts getting floppy, that usually means that they're starting to feel unwell. As for DE, I've always found it to be very helpful, myself.

When a chicken's comb starts getting floppy, that usually means that they're starting to feel unwell. As for DE, I've always found it to be very helpful, myself.
It can harm their respiratory systems, so if you are going to use it, I would be very cautious. I prefer to just check for lice/mites and then treat with something that is 100% effective.

Never heard of the floppy comb thing. Maybe because I don't have a lot of floppy comb breeds in my flock.

I am not familiar with panacur, I use safeguard, which is basically the same thing. You definitely want to find out proper dosage first, so that you know it will work.

It can harm their respiratory systems, so if you are going to use it, I would be very cautious. I prefer to just check for lice/mites and then treat with something that is 100% effective.

Never heard of the floppy comb thing. Maybe because I don't have a lot of floppy comb breeds in my flock.

I am not familiar with panacur, I use safeguard, which is basically the same thing. You definitely want to find out proper dosage first, so that you know it will work.
I have Orpingtons and never had their combs flop over until the one started feeling unwell. Rather odd in my opinion!

Yeah. Maybe it is more of a warm weather thing? I find that I am missing out on all sorts of stuff up here. 😅

Last edited:
Hi,
I have 4 girls, starting to get floppy combs. Otherwise fine. Think time of year I need to do preventatives, little extra flock care. Think I'm going put little apple cider vinegar in their water. I've made them area for dust bath with diatomaceous earth. I can't remember if need to Mix with something else also? I have
panacur liquid from the vet. Because I give to my 4 legged friends.
My chickens weigh about same as my little dogs, would I just follow bottle instructions and give by mouth same dosage because of weight?? If so, are eggs OK to eat or do I toss them for a while?

Any others suggestions for care are very welcomed. They are 3 years old.
Well now I have 2 chickens with floppy combs. But they are acting well. Instead of panacur think I'll just see what tsc has for chickens. Other than possibility that f internal parasites Idk what could make the floppy combs. Just trying to prevent something b4 gets worse.

Well now I have 2 chickens with floppy combs. But they are acting well. Instead of panacur think I'll just see what tsc has for chickens. Other than possibility that f internal parasites Idk what could make the floppy combs. Just trying to prevent something b4 gets worse.
What is the tempurature where you're at? Is it very muggy or humid?

Back
Top Bottom