Diatomaceous Earth

MeeMawsChicks

Songster
Jun 18, 2021
S.E. Ohio
Can anyone tell me if this DIatomaceous Earth is what I need for my coop and is it safe to put down in the pen for my chickens’ dust baths? I have so much run-off from the hill behind my coop that I need to dry it out. My husband picked this up from the local mill that sells feed, supplies,etc. I told him to ask them if it is food grade b/c that’s what the person from Tractor Supply told me I would need. Tractor Supply is completely out of it and other products. She told me that our local TS has been waiting on certain items for a few weeks now. 🙄 I called the number on the label and to be honest, they guy didn’t seem 100% certain.
I put it on the ground in front of the pen and it absolutely worked. I just don’t want to put it in direct contact with my chickens until I know for sure.
A5C435F8-B38D-4825-9679-6F8BC2371E67.jpeg

If its food grade quality , you can mix it with normal sand and it will be safe.
Just about 4 -6 spoons in a bucket of sand is enough.

My experience is that it helps against lice and mite for prevention. It kills the larvae that come out of the eggs.

I use DE as a paint for the inside of the coop (roost area) and the roost too. Especially at the connection yo wall.

Underneath the bedding in the nest boxes I put a thin layer of sand/DE mix.

Never had lice or mite since (7 years now).

If its food grade quality , you can mix it with normal sand and it will be safe.
Just about 4 -6 spoons in a bucket of sand is enough.

My experience is that it helps against lice and mite for prevention. It kills the larvae that come out of the eggs.
Thank you! 😊

I use DE as a paint for the inside of the coop (roost area) and the roost too. Especially at the connection yo wall.

Underneath the bedding in the nest boxes I put a thin layer of sand/DE mix.

Never had lice or mite since (7 years now).
I will try that. Thanks!😊

It is confirmed that the DE is food grade. I just called Tractor Supply and the woman said that I don’t have to mix it with sand, but I would rather be safe than sorry. I will plan on getting sand to mix in with the DE. TS has the sand.

If you ever have a mite or lice infestation, and it is not a bad one, you can carefully rub some DE under the wings of you’re chickens (wear a mask). Do this again after a few days several days, repeat until it’s over.

People here say that it doesn’t work enough if you have a severe infestation. I only had a very light infestation once. And it worked just fine for me.

Can anyone tell me if this DIatomaceous Earth is what I need for my coop and is it safe to put down in the pen for my chickens’ dust baths?
Don't bother with DE.
It's not going to prevent nor eliminate and pest infestation.

I have so much run-off from the hill behind my coop that I need to dry it out.
It's not going to help with a bad drainage situation.
You need to fix the run off by trenching the ground to carry the water run of away from the coop.

Start a new thread asking for "help with drainage problem".

Back
Top Bottom