Disabled/Can’t Build—Local Prebuilt or Shed Conversion?

enmi

In the Brooder
Jul 2, 2022
Hello all,

I’m in eastern Oklahoma preparing for 10-15 chickens late next spring. (Gardening zone 7a if that helps any.)

I am able to perform the daily care and find some help if needed for deep litter coop clean outs, but I don’t have the physical ability to build a coop due to disability.

From everything I’ve read, prefab coop kits are a no-go quality-wise, and I don’t think there are many that would fit my desired flock size anyway.

I believe my remaining options are converting a shed or finding a local builder.

What should I consider when converting a shed?

So far I have:
-ventilation in summers with 100F+ temps not uncommon
-ventilation (but also insulation?) with below freezing winter temps not uncommon
-covered run(s) due to hawks
-skunks, possums, and feral cats also in the area
-roosts and nesting boxes
-food/supply storage area

Yard features
-My garden will be divided into different areas that I can let the chickens into during different parts of the growing season.
-I plan to use chicken wire or hardware mesh over cattle panels to separate the different garden “runs” and let the flock have access to different areas.
-We have quite a few squirrels, birds, and even a few deer, so the garden will be fully fenced eventually and probably covered to keep critters out.
-large trees cover most of the yard, so coop/run will likely be at least partially under a tree
-probably will not have electricity run to the coop/will need solar powered or battery based options

I have found a couple regionally close coop builders and some shed type coops, but I’m not sure they have everything they need done already.

Example of what some regional pre built coops look like found on Dogwood Chicken Coops on fb: 67A9F537-8A63-4B3A-88A0-98DBFFD95629.jpeg
Is the wire flooring here undesirable?

Other examples found on fb marketplace:
948D5F1C-0043-4196-913F-4B4BBB197A04.jpeg

68631F3E-19DE-445F-8420-694360150E02.jpeg

With these prebuilt options, I’d have an additional run added on or open into garden areas like I mentioned earlier.

I’m probably overthinking this a ton, but any advice or comments on what would improve coops like these is much appreciated!

I realize I’m going to have to spend a lot more money on a pre or custom built coop or potentially converting a shed, but some disabilities just have to be worked around. I’ve been saving for a coop for a while now.

Please let me know if there are other things I’ve left out that I should consider.
Thanks for reading!

-worrywart and future crazy chicken person :D

It’s exciting to start the planning process for a flock, and I know you are looking forward to getting things setup.

For 15 chickens, and 8 x 8 coop would make sense. You could then attach an 8 x 20 run to it or let them free range during day if you’re comfortable with that in your space. Starting with a prefab storage building will give you a significant head start but there will still be a good bit of physical work needed to make it chicken friendly, mostly related to putting in nesting boxes and roosts, providing adequate ventilation, and securing it against predators. Perhaps a handyman could help with those items? The pictures you provided look like they started with a shed and already have some of those features added so that could definitely work if they are sized appropriately and within your budget. I don’t have those kinds of options near me so it’s hard to judge from the photos.

It would likely be much cheaper to build from scratch and perhaps you could find a handyman that could build you a simple hoop style coop to get started? There are lots of example photos of those in the forums.

Don’t forget about chicken math, so always a good idea to go larger than you think you need up front so you’re not redoing it later if more chickens are an option for you.

If you have a specific example of something you’re interested in buying, post some inside and outside photos with dimensions and you’ll get some good feedback on the pros and cons.

#2 and #3 are very nice coops for OK. I would however remove the inside wall and open it up to one big area. Heat mitigation is going to be your biggest challenge and the more open the better. It will also make it easier to clean.
Would opening it up to be one long, covered area make it less predator proof?

It’s exciting to start the planning process for a flock, and I know you are looking forward to getting things setup.

For 15 chickens, and 8 x 8 coop would make sense. You could then attach an 8 x 20 run to it or let them free range during day if you’re comfortable with that in your space. Starting with a prefab storage building will give you a significant head start but there will still be a good bit of physical work needed to make it chicken friendly, mostly related to putting in nesting boxes and roosts, providing adequate ventilation, and securing it against predators. Perhaps a handyman could help with those items? The pictures you provided look like they started with a shed and already have some of those features added so that could definitely work if they are sized appropriately and within your budget. I don’t have those kinds of options near me so it’s hard to judge from the photos.

It would likely be much cheaper to build from scratch and perhaps you could find a handyman that could build you a simple hoop style coop to get started? There are lots of example photos of those in the forums.

Don’t forget about chicken math, so always a good idea to go larger than you think you need up front so you’re not redoing it later if more chickens are an option for you.

If you have a specific example of something you’re interested in buying, post some inside and outside photos with dimensions and you’ll get some good feedback on the pros and cons.
I didn’t think of finding a handyman! Thank you for the suggestion! I’ll ask around.

Would opening it up to be one long, covered area make it less predator proof?
If the wired in portion is made with hardware cloth and properly attached, it's strong and predator proof.
Check the services section of CL. You should be able to find someone doing construction side jobs. Not the best time as lumber prices are still high.

Either design could work, though I imagine it would be easier for you if everything was walk in accessible. So if you like the first coop/run set up, I would see about having the coop built full height so you don't need to lean in to do maintenance or to reach a bird inside/under the coop. That would also take care of the issue of a wire floor.

In both builds, due to your hotter summers, it would be ideal to have a lot of ventilation put into the wall facing into the covered run - like I'd consider having the top half of that wall as wire mesh. To help mitigate cold winds in winter, you could ask to have top hinged panels over the vents, like this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/window-support-for-top-hinged-windows.74810/ and https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...do-members-think.1498249/page-2#post-25025344 so you can open them up in dry weather for max ventilation, and lower them in windy/cold weather to allow for protected ventilation.

I would also ask for the soffits to be opened up and covered in wire for safe ventilation that's well protected from the weather: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/coop-modification-recommendations.1517556/#post-25543595

Back
Top Bottom