Disabled Pet Rooster advice

Expat_in_Ecuador

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
I'm a proud owner of a rooster named Hydra, and though I love him very much he is a pain in the butt. I only have one chicken as he was a rescue when he was a day old and I had no intention of getting a yard bird. He spends a good majority of his time with the family including our other pets (3 cats and a dog). Hydra is a very fluffy chicken and we live on the coast of Ecuador so the temperature is at its lowest 76°f and at its highest 103°f. Also his right foot became injured, and an incompetent vet braced her foot wrong and caused farther damage to his tendon. It's now curled up on it's self and he can't move the toes at all. He is still moving around though it more of a hobbling rather than walking, and he spends more time laying down than he did before. I'm not worried about him not getting enough food or water as he is a loved pet and our only chicken.

I am worried as the loss of one of his legs has made it so he can't clean himself properly, or scratch at things on his face or in his nose. And I'm not sure if he is getting enough exercise. Also the heat has made things harder for him. I love my boy and I want him to have the best life possible, but I don't know how to provide that for him. Any advice?

@triciayoung has a few handicapped chickens, and one hen that can't walk at all. She'll be able to give you tips and tricks she does.

One thing I know I thought was adorable is she plays YouTube videos of chickens and lets her hen watch those, which she does.

@triciayoung has a few handicapped chickens, and one hen that can't walk at all. She'll be able to give you tips and tricks she does.

One thing I know I thought was adorable is she plays YouTube videos of chickens and lets her hen watch those, which she does.
@Expat_in_Ecuador. Thank you for rescuing Hydra. He is so blessed to have you. Our handicapped chickens are so much work, and yet, they are so worth it. I am happy to help you in any way I can. I have 4-chickens that sleep in the house - 2 in all of the time and 2 that go out during the day. As you, I absolutely just love, love roosters. My penny has to be fed and I have to hold the bowl for her to eat. I scratch her face and help her preen. I wouldn't worry about him getting enough exercise - chickens have a way of regulating what they eat with how much exercise they get. He just needs love, food and water. You can ask me specific questions here, or in a private message.

Back
Top Bottom