BDutch

natural
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
May 19, 2015
the Netherlands
My Coop
My Coop
If you don't want to eat chickens/turkeys or other meat from the big industrial farms you have like two choices:
  • grow you’re own meat and cull them
  • become a vegetarian
Not everyone has the guts to cull their own chickens. But you don’t have to eat meat/chicken. It’s okay to eat less meat or become a vegetarian. Because more and more people eat less meat is it getting easier all the time.

Where I live every grocery store has lots of choices in easy cooking for vegetarians: Like veggie-hambugers / veggie-nuggets / veggie-ham etc .. Nowadays about 10% of the people in the Netherlands don’t eat meat al all and lots of people only eat meat a few times a week.

Reasons for a growing population of vegetarians and vegans are:
  1. The way the meat industry has expanded over the last decades and the animals are treated inhumane in factory farming.
  2. It became obvious you don't need meat for a healthy diet and its unhealthy to eat much meat.
  3. Eating meat has a bad impact on the environment. Especially the factory farms where the animals are kept inside for max profits with high protein feed from other countries (GMO soy from Brazil).
I wonder if the same changes are happening where you live? What is you’re opinion on this? Please response with youre state or country without abbreviations.

You are welcome to discuss organic farming versus factory farming too.

I just also want to add that If you didn't want to grow an animal yourself or buy supermarket meat you can find other locals who do! Our friend bought a half a pig from a farmer in exchange for some work + eggs, all they did was make freezer room cause he butchered himself, I believe they toured him farm too! I don't think I'd be able to grow a pig or cow to eat, but others are, and if they're willing to share or sell a piece then it can make a wonderful opportunity! :D

I had a discussion @home today about eating meat and statistics. It seens that in my counrty people are eating more meat every year. And the number of vegetarians increase too every year.
:barnie
Conclusion: those who eat meat eat more meat.

I'm a happy omnivore, who does however care about animal welfare. We grow our own chickens here, and nearly never those pathetic Cornishx birds either.
We do buy pork, beef, and some fish, but try to source items thoughtfully.
DH would starve before eating a bean of any sort! Would make eliminating meat very difficult...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom