Diving back into my hobby

Pics
Lovely! Please show more of these pieces. Can you explain the technique a bit?
Thank you. ♡ I will show the others when they are finished, in a little while.

I guess I can explain here, since I think I'm the only Glasser. Having purchased an e-book tutorial, I'm not supposed to explain it to others who might use it, without purchasing the book.

The set-up is done inside a round mold. 64 small rectangles of glass are cut and stacked at the inner parameter of the circle. The top pieces have been pre-fused with colorful bits of glass, called frit. At long, slow, ultimately very high temperatures, the glass melts and flows to fill the circle, and stretches the frit as it goes. You end up with a thick slab of very pretty glass, that then requires multiple, additional firings, depending on the materials you used, and the desired outcome. Unfortunately, the multiple firings mute the pretty design a bit - but are necessary.

The piece above took 5 fusing, including the initial, frit-fusing. Fusing can be a spendy hobby. I'm careful to fuse, as much as possible, during the lower-cost electricity cycle - which for me, starts at 7 p.m. Especially at those high temps. Especially if I'm running both kilns. Same with my freeze dryer.

From the kiln, this morning. Same technique, but with a clear base and with plain frit (the piece above used semi-opaque base-glass and the frit was leaded)

received_2426951834174259.jpeg

received_371576622445043.jpeg

received_365003009843962.jpeg

From the kiln, this morning. Same technique, but with a clear base and with plain frit (the piece above used semi-opaque base-glass and the frit was leaded)

View attachment 3762284
View attachment 3762288
View attachment 3762289

And from my 2nd kiln, this morning. This one with fully-opaque, streaky glass and leaded frit
View attachment 3762293
View attachment 3762294

Sorry for all the glare. I don't have my photography station set up

WOW! Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom