Do chickens get new wing feathers?

AnyaTotoro

Chirping
Jun 2, 2022
Austin, Texas
I had a chicken injured last fall by a dog that we were able to save, but in the process, I had to clip back feathers on one wing, so the feathers didn’t contaminate the wound and reduce risk of infection and irritation from rubbing, as the wound was right behind/under the back of her wing.

Fully healed, she still has a short wing, which makes it harder for her to get on roost with one crappy wing. When she molts, will she drop the feathers I cut and get new ones? I ask, because I haven’t really noticed any of my chickens molt on wings, so wasn’t sure if that normal… normally during molt, I see lots of feathers coming in on neck, back, and butt, but I don’t recall any feather action on wings. Will she ever get a normal wing back, or did permanently disfigure her wing by cutting back the feathers?

I’ve included old photo that I found of clipped wing when she was healing finally and got new feathers around injury, but so you can see the wing in question.

Attachments

• 97F59BFE-5F31-43DD-84E2-C66235AB1CD6.jpeg
    97F59BFE-5F31-43DD-84E2-C66235AB1CD6.jpeg
    463.4 KB · Views: 21
Chickens do molt their wing feathers. It's just not as noticeable since most birds don't drop all their feathers at once. Hers will grow back. In the mean time, could she have a lower roost that she doesn't have to put a lot of effort into getting up?

Back
Top Bottom