Do I need a license to sell about 60 chicks a week

I want to start raising my own chicks and then sell them for a little profit.If I sell 100 or so chicks a month do I some kind of a license in Georgia?
From a quick google search it doesn't look like you need a license. But I'm not in Georgia, so not entirely sure. You could likely call your county office and see what they say.

I live in Gordon county.And yes I know it doesn’t bring in much profit

BUT!! They are SOOO cute, right? Addicting to hatch chicks!!

I did this several times in 2020. Incubated and hatched 3-4 days ahead of the monthly livestock auction in my area. That way, all hatched, fluffed, watered, fed and healthy for the auction. So, really depends on who is there to bid. I sold them for $1.50 each, up to $3 each. But, mixed breeds, so no particular draw of any breed. It was satisfying, snd the little bit of cash offset my investment in The incubator.

Selling chicks across state lines can be an issue, so stick to within your state. Also, be aware that Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) is moving around, and may impose rules on movement of hens/chicks/any poultry. To keep tabs on HPAI, follow Georgia Dept of Ag fb page, and bookmark their webpage. Also USDA/APHIS website as they are updating all occurrences per state, and all instances in backyard snd commercial flicks.

Back
Top Bottom