Do you mix oyster shell in with the feed, or do you offer it separate?

wordgirl

One of the Shire-folk
12 Years
Apr 14, 2009
We just bought our first bag of oyster shell yesterday, and I'm wondering how to give it to them. Which way is best? The bag suggests mixing it in with the feed, but I always thought you fed it separate.
hu.gif

I mix it right in and everyone tells me about how strong our shells are! I use an old Mr. Coffee scoop and add one to every feed scoop I put in the feeder. The feed scoop holds about a quart or so of crumbles.

HTH

Rusty

Last edited:
i use a double rabbit feeder for grit and oyster shell offered free choice
i found the if i mix it in the birds pull it out and throw it on the ground

Last edited:
I have a small wallfeeder for grit and one for oyster shell....that way they can get what they need. The instructions on the bag say to mix it in their feed but layer feed already has some calcium in it.....They know when they need more and pick at it. Also, not all my chickens are laying yet. 2 are not even close (hatched August) but they are also not integrated with the others yet and are on grower feed.

Last edited:
I put mine in a seperate container. I use one of those round galvanized trays I found in the pet section at wal mart and put grit & oyster shells in it. Let them decide when they want it.

Missi

I mix it in. I found that when I offered it free choice, they'd knock the pan/feeder/delivery system of choice all over and it would end up on the ground. Mixed with the food, they dump the bigger pieces sometimes, but we're wasting less than the other way.

Back
Top Bottom