Sfkhalil

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2020
Hello all,

Yesterday I woke up to the worst news a chicken owner can receive - a fox made a meal from 4 out of my 6 chickens. I was devastated and am having trouble moving on. I just set up the coop and moved them outside about a week ago. I blame myself for letting them out too early in the morning (Outside the run, and into the yard) and not staying outside with them considering they were just over 8 weeks old and barely know what a predator is, let alone how to evade one and run to safety in their coop. There are currently being improvements made to the coop and run. However, I am learning that this is part of life and am trying to move on by purchasing new chicks that are the same breed as those I lost.

I am here to get help in identifying the chickens (pullets) I lost and cannot figure it out myself. I have attached the photos - if anyone knows or has a good guess that would be extremely helpful.
1) Me and my chicken. This was my favorite. When I picked her up from tractor supply at what I would guess no more than a week old, maybe 2, she was all black (feet, feathers, beak) and started developing black comb and waddle. As you can see she has gold/orange spots and it went down her back. Very friendly, would sit on my lap forever and extremely docile. (2 photos of her, you can disregard the cute buff that fortunately did not get eaten by the fox)
. 27CB3F85-A1E0-4DD5-9982-029F7F360A28.jpeg
F734A610-8D98-4FF2-94D8-8B3EE7C4E917.jpeg
015D31E6-A16A-49FE-BEDC-8AE78ABE6261.png
2)The next one was a cute bantam which I believe was a porcelain d’uccle, but want to confirm. Very friendly, but kept to herself. excellent flyer and beautiful light grey color with yellow. And best of all she grew an adorable beard. E85A5FE0-B90F-499B-B8FB-BB0480CAA999.png
3) The last was also a bantam. She had a gold and brown color, also very friendly.
In this photo she is the one all the way at the bottom, she is about 3 weeks old. The black one is the same from the first photos above (to show her at a younger age). In the second photo that his her again (skipper) at around the same age. In the 3rd photo you can see the two of them again about 2 weeks old. Lastly, that is her at 8 weeks old a few days before I lost her.
i 204DE550-7883-4EDC-AA2B-B6B6CAF7C026.png
676F3FC8-6F12-4BD5-A8C8-2451B7919902.png
6B55EC73-9C13-464D-829B-216190508281.png
8C613316-95F4-4F1B-8070-C9A17621F3C6.png
Nice! you made it this far, thank you so much for taking the time to read and help!
So just to summarize I am trying to identify three chicks from above. I can provide more photos or descriptions if anyone needs. Hopefully I can find them at a hatchery and order them ASAP. I think a hatchery is the way to go in order to get these specific breeds. Any and all advice is welcome, this was my first time with chicks and the experience has been immensely rewarding and fun.
Thank you all!!

The black one was actually a cockerel, and difficult to say what hybrid. TSC got some odd ones this year that I'm not sure where they came from. Second could be a d'Uccle. Does the last have feathered feet?

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost 8 of my flock to a fox a couple of weeks ago. Ive found, at least at my tsc, that many of their chicks are mixed breeds. So you may not be able to get the exact breed. I'm going to honor all my lost babies by having my next brood all be "2nds" or "jrs" if you will.

The black one was actually a cockerel, and difficult to say what hybrid. TSC got some odd ones this year that I'm not sure where they came from. Second could be a d'Uccle. Does the last have feathered feet?

I did suspect it may have been a rooster in progress, I thought TSC did not sell roosters but I am very new to this. The comb and waddle formed more profondly and sooner than all the rest so you could be right.

The 3rd did have feathered feet.

I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost 8 of my flock to a fox a couple of weeks ago. Ive found, at least at my tsc, that many of their chicks are mixed breeds. So you may not be able to get the exact breed. I'm going to honor all my lost babies by having my next brood all be "2nds" or "jrs" if you will.

I am sorry for your loss, I will be getting justice for the chickens ASAP.
If this is the case, and it was a mixed breed, could an expert ID it still? She was special.

Back
Top Bottom