Don't know if this is an emergency but didn't know where to post the question

Well, things turned for the worse and we called and made an appointment with an Avian Veterinarian in Oklahoma City for today at 3:30. It's an hour drive to the Vet, so Digger (sick Speckled Sussex) got a really good dose of car riding for her first time.

Her crop was extra mushy and when massaged, she'd spit up water. She would stick her neck straight up and open her mouth while trying to "pull" something up from her crop. She had been drinking water but eating very little. We tried adding a bit of Vinegar to her water and she refused it. Gave her Yogurt (not Greek though) and she wouldn't touch it. So I knew we needed to do something soon.

The Vet asked me to put her down on the floor to see if she'd poop. Instead she immediately squirted out about a 1/4 cup of water with a few White and Green discolorations but mostly just clear liquid. Vet did a Crop Flush which she reported was just nasty looking brown "goop". She gave us a 12 day round of anti-biotic and took a sample of the "diarrhea" to send off for testing of worms. It's a good thing our birds are our pets because I left the Vet's with my wallet $196 lighter. (for a chicken!) :eek::D

I'm hoping the anti-biotics will take care of the problem. And hope she doesn't show positive for worms because then all 7 of the girls will be infected.

Can anyone recommend a good chicken pro-biotic since she won't touch Yogurt?

Well, things turned for the worse and we called and made an appointment with an Avian Veterinarian in Oklahoma City for today at 3:30. It's an hour drive to the Vet, so Digger (sick Speckled Sussex) got a really good dose of car riding for her first time.

Her crop was extra mushy and when massaged, she'd spit up water. She would stick her neck straight up and open her mouth while trying to "pull" something up from her crop. She had been drinking water but eating very little. We tried adding a bit of Vinegar to her water and she refused it. Gave her Yogurt (not Greek though) and she wouldn't touch it. So I knew we needed to do something soon.

The Vet asked me to put her down on the floor to see if she'd poop. Instead she immediately squirted out about a 1/4 cup of water with a few White and Green discolorations but mostly just clear liquid. Vet did a Crop Flush which she reported was just nasty looking brown "goop". She gave us a 12 day round of anti-biotic and took a sample of the "diarrhea" to send off for testing of worms. It's a good thing our birds are our pets because I left the Vet's with my wallet $196 lighter. (for a chicken!) :eek::D

I'm hoping the anti-biotics will take care of the problem. And hope she doesn't show positive for worms because then all 7 of the girls will be infected.

Can anyone recommend a good chicken pro-biotic since she won't touch Yogurt?
I hope Digger makes a full recovery! Could you share what antibiotic the vet prescribed, and whether or not it was for a specific diagnosis?

As for probiotics, you can mix Probios, Save-a-Chick, or similar powdered probiotics with water and feed (or any other food she’ll eat) and give it that way. You could also try a plain Greek yogurt, but it sounds like she’s not interested in yogurt at the moment. These products and NutriDrench (below) are at Tractor Supply and most feed stores.

Other ideas… not sure if you mentioned NutriDrench, but that could be good if she’s not eating or is weak. I’ve had success treating sour croup with Monistat suppositories (dosing orally). If you think that’s at play, you could search it up; lots of posts about it.

My chickens are also pets. You’re doing your best and Diggier is lucky to have such a caring home. Good luck! @Chickenman623

I hope Digger makes a full recovery! Could you share what antibiotic the vet prescribed, and whether or not it was for a specific diagnosis?

As for probiotics, you can mix Probios, Save-a-Chick, or similar powdered probiotics with water and feed (or any other food she’ll eat) and give it that way. You could also try a plain Greek yogurt, but it sounds like she’s not interested in yogurt at the moment. These products and NutriDrench (below) are at Tractor Supply and most feed stores.

Other ideas… not sure if you mentioned NutriDrench, but that could be good if she’s not eating or is weak. I’ve had success treating sour croup with Monistat suppositories (dosing orally). If you think that’s at play, you could search it up; lots of posts about it.

My chickens are also pets. You’re doing your best and Diggier is lucky to have such a caring home. Good luck! @Chickenman623
*Follow your vet’s advice, first and foremost! Sounds like you found someone who knows their stuff.

Antibiotic is SMZ/TMP.......whatever that is! She prescribed it because of the brown goop in the crop..........she'd never seen it that bad before and wanted the anti-biotic for a precaution.

I told her we'd have no trouble administering the anti-biotic orally. I've treated many animals orally..................Parrots, Dogs, Cats, Snakes, Lizards and Llamas. BUT............little wife and I almost had to file for divorce. This little girl wasn't having any of it and I dread the next 12 days if it's going to be this hard every time we try to administer treatment. Vet said "just use a thumbnail to pull her lower beak down and squeeze a tiny amount in and administer dose slowly." Anyone have any better suggestions? Everything we watch on-line shows the beak being opened wide.............but we were never able to get her to open up that wide. Guess we'll just have to get better as we go along.

I used to use Pro-Bios Paste on my Llamas when they started looking "green around the gills". But I don't see anything specifically for chickens. Guess Sav-a-chick from Tractor supply is the way to go.

Thanks.

Antibiotic is SMZ/TMP.......whatever that is! She prescribed it because of the brown goop in the crop..........she'd never seen it that bad before and wanted the anti-biotic for a precaution.

I told her we'd have no trouble administering the anti-biotic orally. I've treated many animals orally..................Parrots, Dogs, Cats, Snakes, Lizards and Llamas. BUT............little wife and I almost had to file for divorce. This little girl wasn't having any of it and I dread the next 12 days if it's going to be this hard every time we try to administer treatment. Vet said "just use a thumbnail to pull her lower beak down and squeeze a tiny amount in and administer dose slowly." Anyone have any better suggestions? Everything we watch on-line shows the beak being opened wide.............but we were never able to get her to open up that wide. Guess we'll just have to get better as we go along.
I think SMZ/TMP is Sulfamethoxazole Trimethoprim, but I don’t know anything about it. I hope it helps Digger’s crop.

Ah, the dreaded oral antibiotic routine… yes, my husband and I have struggled with that before. Some chickens are more cooperative than others. Sometimes trying in low lighting, at night, helps.

This is the Probios I use. It’s multi-species and there are some posts on this site about dosing. Other probiotics are good as well. 👍

I purchased 9 packs of Save-a-chick today. But I'll probably switch to ProBios when I run out. I used to use ProBios when I was raising Llamas and it was a life-saver!!! (no pun intended)

Digger is not a happy camper. I'm keeping her in a rather large box in my shop and have the air-conditioner turn on to 72 degrees so she isn't exposed to our "killer heat". It's been in the high 90's to low 100's the entire time she's been sick and I didn't want to add that stress. Keep the light on during the day and only a small night light on at night. She doesn't like being alone, for sure. Seems to be drinking a little water, and I finally got her to eat some Oatmeal flakes............but there's been one tiny bowl of crumbles in her box this whole time and it doesn't look to me as if she's really eating any of it.

Our anti-biotic treatment went well this morning and I'm assuming it will go well this evening, etc., etc., etc. and we'll get her through this.

Oh, I've a question. I see no reason to put out a waterer with pro-biotics and another with electrolytes. Can the two be mixed together so they chickens are getting both when they go to drink?

Last edited:

I had to give calcium to an uncooperative hen for a time, alone. If you have a helper, even better. I administered it at dark, put my phone on leaned against the wall just to give a slight glow so I could see. Picked her up football hold so her wings couldn’t flap. With the same arm I gently pulled the skin around her neck to force her to open her beak. If you have a second person I would football hold with one arm, and pull open with the other arm. The second person can lift the top beak if needed, and put the medicine in. She should swallow automatically once her beak is closed, but if I didn’t get the tablet in far enough mine would spit it out so I started holding her beak for about 5 seconds just to make sure it went down.

To help with the food situation, I would not give oatmeal flakes as it can make it harder to absorb nutrients. If she won’t eat regular food, scrambled egg is best, or wet mash (which is just chicken food moistened with water). Good luck, please keep updating.

Back
Top Bottom