Dry skin under bum

Mayochick

Chirping
Jul 14, 2022
Illinois
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I have a Buff Orphington, and she’s 1 years old. She lays good eggs every day, active, eats and drinks water, super friendly and cuddly. Her behavior is completely normal. The only thing I noticed was it looks like her skin got dry? She’s had that bald spot for a long time and it never had this dry spot. I don’t know if it’s dry poop or if her skin is infected. What should I do? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 13ED4F8F-0BB3-43E0-A48C-073268F30308.jpeg
    13ED4F8F-0BB3-43E0-A48C-073268F30308.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 22
She was being pecked at one point and it's healing.
This can be brought on by lack of protein, tight quarters, boredom etc
I don’t think she was pecked by anyone she’s the leader of the flock and she doesn’t let others peck her. That’s why I was confused about it. How can I give her more protein if that’s the case.

I don’t think she was pecked by anyone she’s the leader of the flock and she doesn’t let others peck her. That’s why I was confused about it. How can I give her more protein if that’s the case.
She was being pecked, those are the scars from it. Of possibly nibbled by rats/mice. Better feed has higher protein, you want at least 18%.

She was being pecked, those are the scars from it. Of possibly nibbled by rats/mice. Better feed has higher protein, you want at least 18%.
Is there anything I can do so it won’t get worse? Or it heals on its own? And okay I’ll keep that feed in mind. She has also been molting but I know that’s normal for chickens.

Is there anything I can do so it won’t get worse? Or it heals on its own? And okay I’ll keep that feed in mind. She has also been molting but I know that’s normal for chickens.
It looks to be scabbed over and healing fine, nothing for you to do.
16% protein feed isn't good enough for most birds, especially when they're molting. There's more and more options for high protein layer feeds so you can find them easily and if not gamebird feed or chick feed with oyster shells on the side will work.

Those are scabs from being picked or from some other injury.
Often a top bird is picked at while roosting.

Get some NuStock cream and apply it to the scabby area to help it heal and hopefully deter more picking.

Back
Top Bottom