Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

I am new to ducks and picked the WH for my first breed because they are supposed to be calm. I also think they are beautiful. I have them mostly for pets but the eggs will be a bonus. I adore my girls.

I have two Welsh drakes that I picked up locally. I had Khaki Cambells and wanted a female that would go broody and sit on the eggs, but ended up getting all three drakes. Luckily I was able to trade one. They have an okay demeanor in my experience, about as skittish as the Cambells, but I imagine it's largely in how you raise them as well. The coloring is much nicer in the females from what I've seen, Dewie and Louie are pretty plain looking.

I am new to ducks and have six WH ducks. I started with three and took over my sister's three on Friday. They were all shipped together and will be three weeks old tomorrow.

I decided on WHs because I wanted nonflying, calm ducks that were a light breed to get my feet wet.
I have two small boys, one three years old and the other is less than two, so I wanted ducks that hopefully wouldn't be too spooked by them. Of course, the eggs are a plus, too! To top it off, I just think they are beautiful. Here are my original three, Margo, Edith, and Agnes, outside for the first time on Friday. This was about an hour before three became six! ;)

Back
Top Bottom