Duck Breed Focus - Welsh Harlequin

Go Harlequins you won't be disappointed. Good all round duck, great layers. You won't get as much meat as off say a Pekin but a single duck is enough for two people and if you need to feed more just pop another in the oven. We had 8 till we sold the property. Buyers wife fell in love with the ducks which probably sold the property.

I am interested in getting some ducks but I am not sure what breed. I have narrowed it down to Indian runners, Welsh Harlequins, and Campbell's. Which breed is the best layer?
Campbell's have the best laying, but I much prefer the temperament of a harlequin. If it were me I would get the harlequins. Some runner varieties can also lay blue or green eggs as well.

One of my welsh harlequin ducks layed her first egg today!
celebrate.gif
She is only about 20 weeks old!

We acquired our "Apple Yard" ducks (We didn't know the proper name until coming across your post ) - Welsh Harlequin's on 21 December of last year when they were still ducklings and raised them with our chooks, so we suspect they think of themselves as "chucks."

They are truly characters and a wonderful addition to our family. They Free Range as the rest of our flock do and have discovered the ponds and streams in the surrounding valleys, but always find their way home by supper time. Imagine that.

In July, Twytch, our only female began laying and has been a laying machine ever since - never missed a single day yet. In the local farmers' markets, duck eggs sell for $0.70 - $1.00 each.

One of our hens has gone broody, so we decided to let her incubate five of Twytch's eggs to hopefully increase laying capacity.

Wytch, Rytch and Twytch enjoying the Redneck Pond we
made from an ol' truck tire we found in a paddock.

They've matured beautifully.

This is how they looked when we brought them home.

Twytch egg on the right, 7 cm length and about 77 g compared to one of our chook eggs on the left.

Last edited:
I am planning on getting ducks in the spring and I really think the WH may have gotten my vote, even it I can get an Ancona I will also get a WH. Thank you for this thread!

We acquired our "Apple Yard" ducks (We didn't know the proper name until coming across your post ) - Welsh Harlequin's on 21 December of last year when they were still ducklings and raised them with our chooks, so we suspect they think of themselves as "chucks."

They are truly characters and a wonderful addition to our family. They Free Range as the rest of our flock do and have discovered the ponds and streams in the surrounding valleys, but always find their way home by supper time. Imagine that.

In July, Twytch, our only female began laying and has been a laying machine ever since - never missed a single day yet. In the local farmers' markets, duck eggs sell for $0.70 - $1.00 each.

One of our hens has gone broody, so we decided to let her incubate five of Twytch's eggs to hopefully increase laying capacity.

Wytch, Rytch and Twytch enjoying the Redneck Pond we
made from an ol' truck tire we found in a paddock.

They've matured beautifully.

This is how they looked when we brought them home.

Twytch egg on the right, 7 cm length and about 77 g compared to one of our chook eggs on the left.
Goodness they are beautiful and love the pond idea.. Huge egg.

Welcome to BYC!

New to this site. Have a question. I have 2 male kacki Campbell's that we hatched this spring. I also have 4 females but they weren't hatched until July (appx) 10.5 weeks old now. When can I let them be together and not have my girls beat up?

Back
Top Bottom