AlexRusso

Hatching
Apr 19, 2024
California
I got my first 2 ever ducks March 3 this year so they're both a little over a month old now. And I need help finding out they're genders. Our vet doesn't vet and I'm not going to pay for blood work since it's too expensive. I got them at a farm shop, a khaki campbell and a Swedish blue. The khaki campbell was marked as a boy and the Swedish blue was unmarked. Based on goggle photos and info for both breeds I'm struggling to know if either were sexed right.
1000004236.jpg
1000004229.jpg
1000004242.jpg
1000004239.jpg

They’re too young to be sexed visually. However, if you can get a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube, and link it here, I’ll voice-sex them for you.

If you do have a male duck, they cannot be housed with chickens once they’re grown.

They’re too young to be sexed visually. However, if you can get a video of their voices, upload it to YouTube, and link it here, I’ll voice-sex them for you.

If you do have a male duck, they cannot be housed with chickens once they’re grown.

Would I still be able to keep the boy duck? Because they're attached to each other and I love them both so much they're very sweet and goofy.

The Khaki is a drake and as mentioned, the Swedish is a hen. If you house them seperate from the chickens, and give them ample space to free range, you might be ok. It is going to depend on your drake.

The Khaki is a drake and as mentioned, the Swedish is a hen. If you house them seperate from the chickens, and give them ample space to free range, you might be ok. It is going to depend on your drake.
So far he's a very sweet boy and loves playing in the water and so far he gets along with the chickens perfectly

Would I have to separate the drake from the chickens at night only or will they be ok together in my backyard?
Personally, I would separate all together; it’s not worth the risk. I understand that he gets along with them now, that is normal, but it can all change once he’s fully mature. He may want to mate with your chickens, and if he does, he could seriously hurt or even kill them.

Back
Top Bottom