Duck hatched with leg bent backwards

HerbanChickenLover

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2021
This poor little baby hatched with its leg bent backwards. I don’t think it’s a slipped tendon because I can’t get the leg to manipulate at all. Has anyone else ever had this happen? Was it treatable?

Attachments

• IMG_4050.jpeg
    IMG_4050.jpeg
    487.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4048.jpeg
    IMG_4048.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4045.jpeg
    IMG_4045.jpeg
    279.6 KB · Views: 6
No it won’t unfortunately. I was hoping I could manipulate it back into place and wrap it. It just hatched overnight.
I wonder if the leg grew incorrectly and the bones simply go in the wrong direction? I imagine there's hope for the little one, but I'm not sure if this can be corrected if the leg won't move.
I've tagged a couple of more experienced duck keepers, perhaps they've seen this before and have some ideas

I have not seen one like this I have no idea if you can help since you can't get the leg manipulated at all. Sometimes after a few days things can change you could try giving some drops of Liquid B complex just a few drops a couple times a day it is good for leg support. Maybe the leg will begin to relax.
@casportpony @Pyxis
@WVduckchick

So shockingly enough this little one hatched easily on its own without any assistance. The bones are side by side and not stacked together with the tendon completely off to the side. If I could just get the bones to line back up, slip the tendon back and wrap I would. I’m just afraid it would be far too painful for it. I’m so sad because it’s so healthy and beautiful otherwise. Its a runner duck and has the most beautiful coloring.

There is always a way if this little has stolen your heart maybe a wheel chair is it’s its future?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/disabled-chickens-forum.1594570/page-12#post-27747827
I wish I had the time for that, it’s just not realistic for me at this point in my life. I have 4 kids, lots of animals, and can barely keep up as it is. It definitely would be a consideration if my kids were older and I didn’t have so much going on.

If I had the funds I would take it to the vet to see if they could help. Unfortunately, I’m still trying to pay off thousands from previous visits. I might post in some local groups to see if anyone has the ability or resources to help it.

Back
Top Bottom