Duck- possible broken egg inside

TMM

Hatching
Jul 23, 2023
I have a 2 year old Black Swedish duck who lost interest in food and was not acting like herself. We though she looked like she had a heavy 'bottom' area and gave her a warm epson salt soak. Afterwards we noticed a whitish thing at her vent, and I carefully pulled out (what looked like) and egg membrane and small bits of shell. A bit later another membrane was visible and I was able to pull that out too, but it was not a full membrane. We do not have any vets who treat ducks in my area. I do have a new unopened bottle of Penicillin (refrigerated, not expired). It's an injectable and I'm not sure if 1. I should use it and 2. How much I should use / how many days. I would appreciate any help!!!!

If you keep her calm (putting a blanket over her head might help), and look in and around her vent, you should find more pieces (unless you already found what looks like the whole egg). You can try using a clean spray bottle to spritz vegetable oil in and around the vent to help. Sometimes this happens when a duck is handled roughly. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom