(EMERGENCY) Hen with broken egg inside body

If her crop is squishy or puffy, massage could cause her to choke. Was the crop empty early in the morning before she ate or drank? That is the best time to judge if the crop is working. Drinking a lot is good, and could be because she is having some crop issues. The white in the poop could contain urates as well. What type of antibiotic are you giving, and the dosage?
This is the antibiotic. It’s one pill per day. I gave her a bath but she kind of freaked out and i’m leaving her to recover. Later can I give her natural Tums for calcium and how much of the pill?

Last edited by a moderator:
The best calcium for chickens and the fastest absorbed is calcium citrate with vitamin D. Tums is okay until you get it. You can give the Clavamox twice a day from 125 mg to 250 mg for 7-10 days.

The best calcium for chickens and the fastest absorbed is calcium citrate with vitamin D. Tums is okay until you get it. You can give the Clavamox twice a day from 125 mg to 250 mg for 7-10 days.
I gave her around 200 mg of calcium citrine. As I explained on my other thread that you might’ve not seen she is not doing well. She was doing great in the morning but now she doesn’t move at all and is looking very lethargic. She doesn’t have the penguin stance though. I did get her to eat some wet food and she still is interested in treats a little.

When she lays her egg tomorrow will it make it worse.

You can give 600 mg of the calcium citrate +D, once a day. If she lays normally again, that would be a good thing, won't know til it happens. The calcium will help with shell formation, and it helps with contractions to help her expel anything remaining from the soft one.
I agree, I would be giving the antibiotic twice a day rather than once, they metabolize it faster than we do. Your label on your medication says to give it every 12 hours, that's twice a day. Amoxicillin is generally very well tolerated. That will help take care of any infection that might happen from any egg material still inside.

Last edited:
You can give 600 mg of the calcium citrate +D, once a day. If she lays normally again, that would be a good thing, won't know til it happens. The calcium will help with shell formation, and it helps with contractions to help her expel anything remaining from the soft one.
I agree, I would be giving the antibiotic twice a day rather than once, they metabolize it faster than we do. Your label on your medication says to give it every 12 hours, that's twice a day. Amoxicillin is generally very well tolerated. That will help take care of any infection that might happen from any egg material still inside.
Ok, so when do you suggest I give her the second dose of the day? The first dose I gave her was at 8 am. Its now 4 pm, so that's about 6 hours. Wouldn't be unsafe? Should I give it to her at 12 in the night?

Do it as close to every 12 hours as you can, in order to keep the medication levels as consistent as you can. I would give her the next dose tonight at 8 PM, or as close to that as you reasonably can, And then the next dose at that time in the Am tomorrow, so you can maintain close to 12 hours between. If 8 AM and 8 PM don't work with your schedule then switch to 6 am and 6 pm, or 7 am and 7 pm, or 9 am and 9 pm, what ever works best in your schedule.
(8 AM to 4 PM is 8 hours apart ).

I noticed she was lethargic and had a penguin stance. When I picked her up I immediately saw clear egg yolk-mucus goop out of her vent, which looked enlarged. She was quickly declining so I soaked her in epsom salt and tried to feel around for an egg with a lubricated gloved finger. I couldn't feel anything. After 30 minutes of soaking nothing changed so we rushed to the ER.

The Vet ER i went to is unexperienced with chickens, but when she was sitting on the ground there she pushed and pushed, then suddenly passed all of the CONTENTS of the egg. The egg 'white' and the yolk. She was left with a hanging strand of membrane coming from her vent.
The doctors gave her fluid, calcium, and painkiller injections. She seemed to be more relieved. She got prescribed antibiotics and we were told to keep checking to see if she passes the potentially broken shells.

Right now, she is isolated in a warm room and I saw her pass a watery poop (no blood). She ate a bit of food and was preening a little. The strand of white membrane is still hanging out. The vet told me not to pull it. I pulled it a TINY BIT and more of the membrane keeps being pulled out. I stopped because I don't know if it'll hurt her.

Hoping and praying she makes it. Any tips, and also should I pull the membrane? Why is it that she can kind of poop still?
pictures can be given, but she is sleeping in a carrier right now. Just ask and I'll try to get some.
It’s been around 40 hours since she passed the yolk and egg white. This morning she ate a lot, and her pooped look normal but very dark and smelly. She is still pooping smaller amounts of mucus, but there is still very small traces of what I suspect to be blood. I have her her antibiotics and calcium citrate for the morning. I don’t think I should soak her again because she seemed to be really stressed whenever I do.

Yesterday she was closing her eyes a lot but today she seems tired, but less fatigued. She is due for her next egg laying, though. Will this push out any remaining egg shell or will it get stuck too? We know that all of the egg yolk and white came out already, so there is probably only the shell remaining. It’s 10:30 and no sign of egg shell. What should I do? Need help desperately, thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_5444.jpeg
    IMG_5444.jpeg
    495.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5443.jpeg
    IMG_5443.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5445.jpeg
    IMG_5445.jpeg
    675.1 KB · Views: 4
Continue to give her the calcium once a day until she lays normally. The next egg may be delayed, so time will tell. Sometimes if they aren't feeling well the laying will stop until they are better. If she's acting a little better, that is a positive sign. Sometimes it takes time. I would continue the antibiotics until they are gone, and continue the calcium, make sure she's eating and drinking. And let her rest. If the soaking stresses her out then don't do that. You can also roll up warm bath towels from the drier and put them around her (like a nest) and that can also relax them some, like a soak, but less stress for those that don't like soaking. The droppings look good.

Continue to give her the calcium once a day until she lays normally. The next egg may be delayed, so time will tell. Sometimes if they aren't feeling well the laying will stop until they are better. If she's acting a little better, that is a positive sign. Sometimes it takes time. I would continue the antibiotics until they are gone, and continue the calcium, make sure she's eating and drinking. And let her rest. If the soaking stresses her out then don't do that. You can also roll up warm bath towels from the drier and put them around her (like a nest) and that can also relax them some, like a soak, but less stress for those that don't like soaking. The droppings look good.
Thank you. She is doing much better than yesterday. Right now she is munching on feed like crazy. I have a crate she likes to sleep in with a nest of towels inside, but i guess today she wants to stand outside. Do you think I should give her some times outside with her sisters? It’s a little cold out but she seems a bit depressed. I read that warmth is better so maybe not.

She switched from only wanting water to now only wanting food. Should I limit her food intake or encourage her?

I would let her eat and drink as she wants, I wouldn't limit either. That she's doing both is a good sign. It won't hurt to let her have some time with the others, just make sure no one goes after her. Being separated or being sick can sometimes cause others to attack, so you don't want her injured. Sometimes they can get stressed by being separated from the flock, so if weather and her health permit it, being with the others can be helpful. You can also put her out in the run in a wire crate, so they can all see and talk to each other, but she can be safe.

Back
Top Bottom