Duck with Breathing problems

Pics

wschutte

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
Mozambique
Hi all,

I have a male Muscovy Duck, approximately 1.5 years old that is having difficulty breathing. This has been going on for about a week now with no improvement. He is gasping and shaking his head. No other visible problems. He wants to eat and runs for food, manages one mouthfull and then can't eat because of his breathing. He is drinking. I have isolated him from the rest and feeding him by hand, sometimes through a feeding tube just to get something into his stomach (hand rearing food which is full of vitamins). He stops the gasping to sleep at night but his chest is then working hard.

I have dewormed him, treated him for Pneumonia and now have him on an antibiotic that is for "general infections of the respiratory, gastrointestinal and urogenial tract caused by Gram positive and Gram negative bacteria". This antibiotic I have started today in his water as nothing else has worked so far.

Has anyone experienced this before? Non of my other Muscovies have this problem so far. A Vet unfortunately is not an option as I live in the middle of Mozambique where there are no Vets and the closest Vet will be a 7 hour drive to Zimbabwe, through a border. We are currently coming out of Winter but our Winters are extremely mild. The Ducks are out all day and caged at night. Cages are cleaned every day.

Many thanks
Wendy

see how is after a few days on his antibiotics . if he's shacking his head it sounds like something obstructing his airway. try to keep him as calm as poss which i assume your doing already . have you tried something like olbas oils in hot water or vix to steam the air see if it clears it up??

I was thinking of gape worm but if you've wormed you probably eliminated that. just sounds like gape worm or an obstruction. if using a feeding tube though that would have taken care of that too. I think you should give him a couple days on this new antibiotic like the other poster said and hopefully it will take care of it,.
fl.gif
Sorry you came to BYC on a negative note but
welcome-byc.gif
hopefully others may have something to add too.

Many thanks for your response. I will see how the antibiotics go, it says must be given for 4 -6 days. I will try your Vicks idea and see if any changes. This morning he did try to eat, something he hadn't tried yesterday so holding thumbs. He is kept by himself far from the others in a small cage so that he can't tire himself out but has enough space to move around a bit. I gave him a bath this morning as it is a hot day. Will keep you posted.

Many thanks for your response. I will see how the antibiotics go, it says must be given for 4 -6 days. I will try your Vicks idea and see if any changes. This morning he did try to eat, something he hadn't tried yesterday so holding thumbs. He is kept by himself far from the others in a small cage so that he can't tire himself out but has enough space to move around a bit. I gave him a bath this morning as it is a hot day. Will keep you posted.
fl.gif

I had a duck with aspergillosis. Her symptoms were very similar to what you are describing, she would shake her head and gasp to breath. We weren't able to save her, and didn't find out what the actual disease was until a necropsey after her death. I have since learned from others on BYC that aspergillosis can be treated with fluconazole and terbinafine together. You might try looking aspergillosis up and see if that sounds like what your duck has. It is caused by mold in food or bedding, we think our duck was infected while free ranging on some woodchip mulch that had fungus/mold growing in the under layer unbeknownst to us, she was a very active forager. Good luck with your sick duck!

Hello i need help a have a one year old Muscovy he was attacked by a dog i found him in from of my house he is a wild duck but i always checking on him i grab him and he was bleeding from his mouth i clean him and started him on antibiotics the problem is that he can get up if he get up is one second them he back to lay flat on the floor with his head on the floor too he doesn’t eat by himself i have to feed him he can only eat a little and that’s it and when i carry him he open his mouth like he is gasping for air please help I can’t take him a vet no vet see Muscovy in miami

Attachments

• 73351311518__8CBA7AF2-E3D5-495B-8008-16DAC5357FEF.jpeg
    73351311518__8CBA7AF2-E3D5-495B-8008-16DAC5357FEF.jpeg
    433.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 73370333878__78ECAD1F-CD88-43C4-978C-372B0CAE8959.jpeg
    73370333878__78ECAD1F-CD88-43C4-978C-372B0CAE8959.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 3
  • 73370333878__78ECAD1F-CD88-43C4-978C-372B0CAE8959.jpeg
    73370333878__78ECAD1F-CD88-43C4-978C-372B0CAE8959.jpeg
    535 KB · Views: 3
Have you checked him
Over for wounds? He may be in shock ? Ever heard of Muscovy haven? They are somewhere down your way. What Antibiotic are you giving him? When did this happen. Muscovy haven might be able to help.

Have you checked him
Over for wounds? He may be in shock ? Ever heard of Muscovy haven? They are somewhere down your way. What Antibiotic are you giving him? When did this happen. Muscovy haven might be able to help.
I took him but she asking too much money and then she told me if he doesn’t eat on his own she will put him to sleep i am sure he can recover

Back
Top Bottom