Dfarago

Songster
Feb 23, 2019
High Desert, California
Finally the eggs have hatched. We have eleven ducklings. Momma was wonderful with sitting. She’s still broody over her babies. Information about the set up we have. They are outside in the little house they were laid In, which has been given fresh hay. The enclosure is 20 ft long, 7 ft wide and 6 ft tall. Covered in chicken wire so no predators can get in. They have a good amount of shade throughout the day. But they’re too young to be venturing out. I set up a water dish specifically for ducklings in there with some chick starter. So a few questions.
1) when is the safest yet earliest time I can separate the mother from the ducklings? My husband and i are trying to hand raise them as much as possible so they’re socialized to us. The intention is to have the new, more socialized generation be our breeders.
2) I was reading something about niacin and adding that to their food and a higher protein food. Any brand suggestions. (I am on a bit of a budget though)
3) I’m confused about this whole starter and finishing off food stuff. Any way someone can make or link me to a simple chart for how and what kind of food for the different growth cycles.
3A85EB31-D1C8-43E7-A647-053C9747A846.jpeg

AD8A7B53-B6B4-46C2-B062-5386D0890498.jpeg

9BA21AD6-D361-4BCF-BE64-89317902FF41.jpeg

AD8A7B53-B6B4-46C2-B062-5386D0890498.jpeg

890B4CEC-C18F-47B4-9963-7CEA90220365.jpeg

Congrats on the beautiful ducklings! For food, you could go with Purina Flock Raiser and not worry about having to switch feeds when they get older. With this feed, since it is formulated for ducklings, it contains enough niacin for most ducks, so no need to add anything.

Yes its for all poultry! Just offer oyster shell for calcium.
@Miss Lydia do you know if Southern States makes a comparable feed to the Purina Flock Raiser? I am really digging the whole idea of having one feed from hatch to adulthood, and I have a really good relationship with the Southern States down the street. Unfortunately they are not very familiar with Purina brands.

It seems sad to take them all why not leave her with at least 3? Then take the rest now you want them to recognize you not their mama as caretaker. And I agree with @casportpony on feed and never have to change feed again.
That’s why I was asking when’s the earliest. I know they need mamma to teach them how to duck. But she’s apprehensive around us and I’m afraid of that fear being taught to the babies. Which will make everything for the rest of their lives a lot more difficult for them and for us.

Back
Top Bottom