Ducks gone!

Yeh my guess is the two legged predator. Hey people can be messed up sometimes. I once knew someone whose dog was stolen right off her sons stroller. (The dog was tied up to the stroller while she went into the daycare to pick up her son) She knew the person who stole it and this person finally fessed up and the dog was returned. Messed up!

Thanks yall. I am just about sure it had to be a person that did it. I went home and looked and DW showed me where the cage was and there is no way an animal moved it that far and not turned over the water bowl. I just can't figure out who or why for that matter. There is all kinda stuff in the backyard they could've taken but just the ducks. Oh well, guess they figured they needed them more than I did. I prayed that they take good care of them and they think about what they did everyday. I am not too optomistic they would take good care of them but at least they have to live with what they did. I may need to get in touch with the guy you are talking about cgjsmith. I am getting up early in the morning and going to our flea market here in Crossville and if they ain't got any Welsh's then I will let you know. Thanks for the info.

Hi, It's a very good idea to fill out a police report. Starting a "paper trail" can only benefit you in the long run. How many more times would you willing to buy ducks to have someone else steal them? I know you are looking at the here and now, but this may have a serious problem in the future-and not just with ducks being stolen.

Nobody can see into the future that you won't be robbed again. If you get a report written, it will be possible to use it later for prosecution if it is an ongoing thing. I am offering this advise based on experience.

Just call your local police/sherriff's non-emergency number and they will send an officer out to view the moved cage etc. and they will fill out a quick report for you and they keep it on file.

I'm sorry about your ducks-best wishes
smile.png

Well, I went ot the flea market in Crossville Saturday and found two more teeny tiny Welsh halequin babies. They are so small compared to the one that was left by the duck snatcher. I can't believe how much they can grow in a weeks time. Amazing! Oh well, DW is very happy with the new little ones so I am happy. We are keeping these inside the house then to the shed until they are feathered and can to outiside on their own. Thanks for all your help and support.

Well, it's been a while since I updated yall on our ducks. I went and bought 2 more Welsh Harlequin ducklings and they did fine for a while. We decided to put them into a different pen. It is the pen I had our chickens in before I got our coop/run finished and the same one I had our new BSL in while getting them acquainted(sp?) with our older chickens. Nothing bothered any of the chickens so I thought that it would be fine. Well, it wasn't. After the first night out there DW went out to check on them and the two little ones were gone! No sign of them anywhere. So, the bigger one was ok. No wounds nothing. We leave it out and the next morning he is gone too! So I go out looking around and find a pile of feathers close to the pen. So i guess a racoon or opossum had a good few meals. We are done with ducks! I am tired of feeding the wildlife. I do hate it that they little ducks didn't make it. But I guess that is the way of nature sometimes. I am going to set a trap to catch what ever it is before it/they get into my chickens. Whew, sorry it's so long. Just wanted to let yall know.

Aww, I am so sorry to hear about you loseing your little ducks. We have lost all of ours in the course of a week. All were full grown, large ducks. I have no idea where they are....One was setting on a nest. Her eggs are in the incubator now. There has been no sign of a struggle....I have walked the whole property...nothing. No feathers...nothing. I do have a sneaky suspicion of who MIGHT have taken my ducks. But I have no proof...and cant get close enough to his property unnoticed. He has guinies.(sp)Again, im so sorry.

WOW!!:mad:
Sorry to hear of your losses, Chknman!!
If I have read correctly, you are not a man to go by what I'm about to say, BUT,
A shotgun will keep all predators away. 2 or 4 legged!!

We have had the same problem gone through two set of ducklings thanks to a dog that was left behind. I've got eggs in the bator and the fog tied up but if these don't make it or don't hatch I'm not going to try again this year!! I still have that guys number in beech grove if you want it for future refrences. You might also try the Tennessee poulty group on yahoo. Sorry for your loss. Crystal

Back
Top Bottom