Dust Bathing in Diatomaceous Earth

I don't plan to inhale DE ever, and don't want my birds to have to live in it either.  When lice or mites arrive, I will use permethrin to kill them, otherwise not.  My birds dust bathe in sandy soil, and sometimes a little wood ash added.  I'm totally with blu on this issue.  Mary

I agree, coops are dusty enough as it is, I'm sure I've inhaled plenty of nasty crap in my construction career this far and don't care to sprinkle anything in my coop that can cause silicosis

Just to clear this up: Silicosis is the province of "Pool Grade" DE (~20% Crystalline Silicon Dioxide). One can easily make the distinction between ADE & calcined DE by placing a small amount on the palm of one's hand on a sunny day and, if it glitters and glints it's the calcined product (melted into "glass" and crushed into tiny shards - yes, exposure to this can result in Silicosis - most often diagnosed in workers lacking adequate protective gear at calcined DE manufacturing facilities).. ADE, on the other hand, remains a dull gray flour. ADE is regarded by both the FDA & EPA as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe) and is approved for indoor use (under kitchen cabinets/in the beds of dogs, etc) as an insecticide.

Now, where things get interesting is that when sold as an "insecticide" for indoor use it falls under the EPA's Pesticide labeling requirements. Producers/Manufacturers use this as an excuse to jack the price. So, I buy a 50 lb. bag at the feedstore for $25 while on a back shelf in the same feedstore is a 2 lb. bag of the very same ADE selling for $8.95 ("for the homeowner"). EPA had to send out a series of nastygrams to the biggest producer/manufacturer, Celite Co., to remove "For Commercial Use Only" from any quantity as "this product can be used by homeowners, as well". Celite was busy creating a "line" of products - with different price points - from the same ADE, e.g., a 50 lb. bag of ADE being $25 (Canton Mills), while a 50 lb. bag of Celite's Diafil 610 (nothing but ADE) went for $27 - nick the cattle producers as well.

To be certain, regardless of which materials one employs in the coop/shed THERE WILL BE DUST. Any member with sufficient concerns about, or already existing problems with, lung function/compromised immune response should, at the very least, be employing an N-95 rated mask when in the coop/shed.

I know the difference and honestly don't care which government agency deems it safe, I'm not going to be breathing it in, it makes no sense, it provides little to no benefit in a chicken coop so why bother?

I know the difference and honestly don't care which government agency deems it safe, I'm not going to be breathing it in, it makes no sense, it provides little to no benefit in a chicken coop so why bother?
As I'm not competent to answer anyone else's rhetorical questions, I'll defer. As there was the same yes/no binary "opinion", on this matter, when I arrived at BYC eleven years ago, I read up on the established science of the class "Sorptive Dusts" (of which ADE is the powder with the least noxious risk profile) and slow death by aDsorption, a mechanism which continues to etch away at the lipoids even after the death of the insect, i.e., no "friction" (movement), no "cutting/stabbing/slashing" of insects' exoskeletons need apply as the primary mechanism of action that led to deaths. Performed several quantitative exams of the substance and was satisfied with price:effect ratio. Our biological assay "canary in the coal mine" 10.5 yr. old Black Sex Link hen was still "spry" (though poor legs have grown short & fat with age - none of us respond well to gravity over time :( ) and bright-eyed this morning (swear by Estes Hatchery line of Black Sex Link hens). Only "exposures" of dust I concern myself with? Yeah, upwind is good. Whatever works, yes? Have a great day!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom