Early Signs of a Bad Rooster

Harmony Fowl

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 17, 2017
Virginia
Okay, so maybe not bad, just not the bird you want to guard and breed your flock. Assuming physical characteristics are equal, what are early behavioral signs that tell you a cockerel is not going to make the cut?

I hope I'll come home tomorrow without our red Polish cross. His behavior toward children, women and unfamiliar people in general is getting worse. Despite prior attachment to him, the position of secondary rooster in our flock is open. I have five young cockerels who are unrelated to the rest of the flock (a requirement here.) One is 12 weeks old, three are eight weeks old and the last is 5-6 weeks old. The oldest and one of the middle ones are standing out with more even temperaments. I don't like the flightiness of one nor the absolute single minded jerkwadiness of another and the littlest I suspect of beating up turkey poults. I'm planning to let the two grow more and move the others to a grow out pen, but what do you use to scratch a cockerel off your list?

My biggest thing is how they treat the hens, and I can't judge that until they're a few months older than yours are.

However, from personal experience, jerrkwads don't stop being jerkwads, though flighty roosters often do settle down as they mature.

The one we're getting rid of is absolutely wonderful with the hens, his one virtue. He matured rather earlier than the rest and began courting the adult hens as the only one with enough confidence to try. They just swoon for him and being a little on the light side makes mating easier on them. Still, no to trying to flog my mom.

Flightiness makes me suspect. One, it's good to be able to handle the rooster if I have to. Two, I've noticed the flighty birds are often low ranking. Whatever about them that makes them low ranking to start with seems to mean they don't make good leaders, like they're maladjusted, at the bottom for a reason. The flighty one is super pretty and a nice size but I'm afraid to send the rest to the freezer to wind up with a poor leader who should never have been leader to start with.

Our other rooster is great. Tonight I snatched the bad guy off the roost to put in a dog kennel while he was nice and sleepy. Our good guy came down to defend him but wouldn't go any further than walking up to me. Once I left he got back up on the roost and didn't bat an eye when I walked back in empty handed. I'm hoping one of the two develops similarly. The oldest cockerel is actually kind of personality-less but there's also nothing wrong with him and I've already invested three months, might as well see how he turns out.

Yeah I agree give it a little more time, they are ALL jerkwads in one way or another when that teenage stage happens. You just have to see if the jerkwadness sticks around. Even my fav boys are being semi butts right now and they'll grow up to be feathery lap chickens. Right now though shifty semi butts! So second in command is an open position here too until I see which butt stinks least.;)

People need to stop inserting themselves into the chicken pecking order, whether it is the bottom or top. It is easy to determine which of those extremes are involved in many postings. Then you need to recognize when your feeding methods reward aggressive behavior that promotes more or better access to feed. Finally, do not pose a threat to an adult roosters reproductive effort by stressing his hens or chicks.

I see. I included too much information. Thank you for that input on how things go wrong.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make culling decisions for immature cockerels using their early behavior as signs that they will make less desirable flock leaders than their peers?

Last edited:
I myself start with looks, the ones I like get to grow up, the rest go to the pot at 4 months. I then cull any that have overly sexual behavior, just culled one i raised 2 years, he never grew out of that teenage stage, and was never on the flock. This same rooster would call the "leader" to his cage and fight through the fence for hours. I got tired of this and he is gone, but he was so pretty,,,,,those florescent yellow ears,,,
I cull for aggressiveness as well, though one I have kept flogged me one time, during feeding. I put the feed up and sent the girls to the roost hungry. The next day he stood his distance, and has kept that attitude.
I will sell what I can, if I think he will make a good roo
I cant wait to see what this years cocks will look like!
BTW at about 4-5 months (when they start mounting) they come off the flock until at least 1 YO.

I see. I included too much information. Thank you for that input on how things go wrong.

Do you have any suggestions on how to make culling decisions for immature cockerels using their early behavior as signs that they will make less desirable flock leaders than their peers?
I raise a minimum of 50 cockerels / stags a year up to point where I can do evaluations like discussed here. There behavior of interest here does not solidify until they are actual cocks at 18 to 24 months.

Back
Top Bottom