Early Signs of a Bad Rooster

Correct, I have a lot of experience with chicken behavior, yet do not feel confident advise anyone on how to do it. My behavioral evaluations are made with birds when they reach the actual cock stage, not during the first year. I have a hard time assessing for type until most are at least 8 to 9 months old. Color can be done earlier.

Correct, I have a lot of experience with chicken behavior, yet do not feel confident advise anyone on how to do it. My behavioral evaluations are made with birds when they reach the actual cock stage, not during the first year. I have a hard time assessing for type until most are at least 8 to 9 months old. Color can be done earlier.
Thank you for that input anyway. I wish I had the space to entertain the idea of growing males out for so long, but making do with what I have, I try to stick to the birds with the best behavior. Without breed goals in mind, behavior has emerged as the most important factor for us. I guess the question isn’t really who will end up with the best behavior but who will make putting up with them intolerable as they mature? That’s what I’m still learning myself.

It's really hard to judge their merits in a small scale setup.
I had to choose by 16 weeks as I don't have the space to grow out a bunch of males and I only keep one male in my small flock.
I've found their behaviors might stink with other males around but remove the others and it changes, usually for the better in regard to the females. I was not crazy about last one I kept, he was not my first choice out of the 4 I had, in the end I mostly chose him for size for the crosses I planned. It took some time but he turned out ok behaviorally...a lot does depend on the keepers behavior when it comes to aggressiveness to humans and hens. It's hard to explain.

As others have stated it's difficult to make the best selection until they are much older. A couple of years ago kept a flighty cockerel and now he is my favorite rooster. He's calmed down a lot with time, he's very respectful and always gives me my space, great with his girls, etc. Last year I kept a lovely cockerel, huge, gorgeous, so calm and easy to handle. As soon as I set him up with his own girls he turned into a total a$$ towards me. But I'm working with him now and he seems to be coming around. I think you have to be wary of the cockerels that are really "nice" , because what appears to be very friendly to us can often signal a bird that is going to be pushy and disrespectful when it matures.
I think you are on the right track to pick one that is more middle of the road behavior wise.
I also agree that much of how they turn out is due to how they are managed. I personally don't do anything special with my cockerels. I don't try to befriend them, no hand feeding , carrying them around or anything like that. I only handle them when I need to. I also don't go out of my way to show them I'm boss, keeping them from crowing or mating in my presence or any of that nonsense. The only thing I really demand of them is that they back off and leave me alone to feed, water and clean up, and to treat their girls well.

Back
Top Bottom