Ebay egg question...what would you do?

Wegs813

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
SE Minnesota
I ordered 12 Delaware eggs off of Ebay about 22 days ago. I received 13 in the mail. 13 were placed in the incubator...one was infertile, and there were 2 early quitters. 10 went in to lockdown.
Today the first one hatched. I was under the impression that the chick would be yellow. Am I wrong in my assumption of coloring, or is this not a Delaware?? Maybe this is just a stupid question and if so, I am sorry! I am just really confused!!
56528_baby_del.jpg

A delaware should hatch out yellow. You either got ripped off or they made a mistake and sent you the wrong eggs.

Once the hatch is complete I would first email the seller, being nice, and ask if a mistake was made. Be sure to send pictures.

Matt

Thank you! I was pretty sure that the chicks should be yellow. I am waiting for the others to hatch to see what color they are.
I did send the seller a message after the first one hatched asking her if she was sure that they were white Delawares because it hatched out with dark colors. She sent a message back stating that they were indeed white Delawares. I don't want to say anything bad just in case the seller is a member here, but based on the email she sent me I'm not sure that she is really familiar with chickens.

I've hatched LOTS and LOTS of Delawares. They are yellow. Maybe the seller made a boo boo, or sent you a surprise egg. I'm with Lisa ... that is a GREAT rate 10 into lockdown! WOW! Good luck!

31282_dscf3075.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
It is an awesome rate, considering I live in Minnesota and the eggs were shipped when it was cold here!! I am just hoping there are a couple of Delawares in the bunch!

I've had issues before where the ebay seller said one thing and I got another...

In my case it did not matter to much... I ordered Black Stars (sex-linked) what I got was eggs from her black star hens... her roo was a Black Jersey Giant... and it took me about 6 emails to get that info....

If your looking to get show/breeding birds then I'd look for a breeder specifically and ask if they sell on ebay, if so what their name is.

eBay can be a great deal or a raw deal... so just ask questions before buying if you need specific things.

Quote:
I did ask questions...and one of my specific questions was if it was pure Delaware and if only the roo Delawares had access to the hens. I was assured that it would be pure!

I would contact the seller and ask for a refund. If you paid with papal you have 45 days from the date of the transaction to report a problem. I would only do this if the seller is not working with you.

Back
Top Bottom