Jealous Gypsy

Songster
Jul 13, 2019
Northern Maine
So im doing an experiment. It is winter and my hens are not laying as many eggs by far. I have read up on using cayenne pepper in water for hens to help increase egg production. Some say it works, others say its an old wise tale. From what I read it takes 2 days to take effect. It will not hurt my flock either way and will help keep them warm. Im going to try it and monitor results on this thread. The past 2 weeks I've only gotten between 4 and 5 eggs a day from over 14 hens.

I do not know the exact number( i bought atsrolorps in august its hard to count the hens when they all look alike ! ) i know I have atleast 14 from before i got the astros so i saying over 14 lol:p.

Today is day 1 on pepper. I have noticed they seem a bit more active than normal. Only 2 eggs thus far, I think one might be from a Guinea though. Will post again tomorrow.

Where I am, winter lasts till April sometimes May. It is 30 today. It will be dipping down to 2 overnight this week. I hope the ground hog was right though it would be nice for an early spring🥶

I've heard about using cayenne, adding it to the feed. I tried it i
one year, and definitely did not see results. At this point, days are getting longer, and the hens will start increasing output, cayenne or no.
Exactly!

It is 30 today. It will be dipping down to 2 overnight this week. I hope the ground hog was right though it would be nice for an early spring🥶
Another Wives(not always wise) Tale.
I heard Phil is not gonna see his shadow and that means....
....it's cloudy in Punxsutawney, and that's all it means.
Whether Phil sees his shadow or not...
..Spring Equinox is still gonna be ~6 weeks away.
:gig

Where I am, winter lasts till April sometimes May.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
1580741200797.png

Exactly!

Another Wives(not always wise) Tale.
I heard Phil is not gonna see his shadow and that means....
....it's cloudy in Punxsutawney, and that's all it means.
Whether Phil sees his shadow or not...
..Spring Equinox is still gonna be ~6 weeks away.
:gig

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 2017728
And just an fyi An old wives' tale is a supposed truth which is actually spurious or a superstition. It can be said sometimes to be a type of urban legend, said to be passed down by older women to a younger generation. Such tales are considered superstition, folklore or unverified claims with exaggerated and/or inaccurate details

Do you really need to be such a troll? Groundhogs day is fun and cute it may not be accurate, but its fun, do you tell little kids there is no santa too?

And just an fyi An old wives' tale is a supposed truth which is actually spurious or a superstition. It can be said sometimes to be a type of urban legend, said to be passed down by older women to a younger generation. Such tales are considered superstition, folklore or unverified claims with exaggerated and/or inaccurate details

Do you really need to be such a troll? Groundhogs day is fun and cute it may not be accurate, but its fun, do you tell little kids there is no santa too?
Yes, I know what a wives tale is.
I seek, and share, the truths. ;)

Back
Top Bottom