Electric Hen owners how hot should the plate get?

DallasCriftins

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 26, 2012
Ellesmere, Shropshire, England
My Coop
My Coop
I understantd the principle of how the electric hens work relying on a close priximity to the chicks with them being able to touching it even.
I have just bought one for the chicks we hope to hatch soon and plugged it in today to test it

I was surprised how hot the surface of the plate got to, I was expected hen body type temperatures 40 degrees C etc
Can someone reassure me that it feeling very hot to the touch is normal as mine feels very uncomfortable, the surface is probably around approx 70C is that normal?

Thanks

I have never tested the actual temp mine gets to but I can comfortably put my hand on it and leave it there for as long as I like. I have the brinsea one

I have bought one of these from Regency Poultry I reckon mine is about the same temp as central heating radiator so not burning hot to touch but still fairly uncomfortable.

To me if I set the height so the chicks can touch it they are going to get overheated especially if sleeping under it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-x-30-E...t=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item1c309aa5ea

Or the manufacturer site here
http://comfortchicks.com/heatingplates/

The instructions say

"It is important that the chicks can touch the heating plate, especially when they are new born. For that reason the height adjustment is very crucial."

I think it is far to hot for them to be in contact with it?
has anyone else get one like I have bought

PS the adjustable legs are really good a much better idea than long threaded studs!

Last edited:
hi

i have also brought one of these and i have found it to be too hot im abit worried about putting my chicks under!
has anyone got any ideas on how to put the chicks under without it burning them?

thank you

Mine gets to around 108F which was what worried me at first because I thought it was is quite hot to the touch but works fine my chicks have been perfectly happy under it
I contacted various people and all assured me mine was ok if it was around 108f

So measure the temp of yours if it is like mine then it not actually as hot as you think

I also have a Brinsea one as well that does not get as warm I would not use it on very cold days and I now prefer the model below

Here are some of the residents they go under it at night and sit on it during the day if it is too cold to go outside!
These Splash Orpingtons are now four weeks old and spend the nights in the brooder and their warmer days outside in a run

Another couple of weeks and they will be outside all the time and we already have 44 eggs in incubator for the next batch of chicks
these three Splash Orpingtons were our 'learning how to do it' Chicks!

Last edited:
ok

well ive put my 12 chicks under now and they seem to like it they are a very happy and lively bunch :)

i would recommend to anyone easy to work just plug in and let it heat up plus the legs are really easy to adjust :)

Both of mine are just about to go back into use after a few weeks rest.
I have two incubators on the go, Day 21 is tomorrow and Thursday respectively.

This afternoon we noticed one Araucana and one Welsummer had already externally pipped so the hatch has started :)

hi and hello i just got my 25 by 25 electic hen for my chick how hiht does the brooder need to be ? my eggs are at day 14 and really hope they will be ok when the come out can you plase help ? my email is [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom