Experimental & other Hatch-a-long

I removed an egg from Oakley's batch because it was obviously clear and I think the blue egg is most likely empty as well.

But we have our first internal pip!!
It's one of the store bought eggs. Hopefully we'll get to meet him/her tomorrow.

We have our first two babies!! The blueish one is the mystery chick and the light one is from my mixed breed flock. I'm wondering if it might have the same thing going on with its color that Aphrodite did from my previous hatch. Cause I still don't have any whites in the flock.
I saw a small pip on one of the silkie eggs as well.
20240504_111843.jpg

We have our first two babies!! The blueish one is the mystery chick and the light one is from my mixed breed flock. I'm wondering if it might have the same thing going on with its color that Aphrodite did from my previous hatch. Cause I still don't have any whites in the flock.
I saw a small pip on one of the silkie eggs as well.View attachment 3820578
:frow welcome little ones!
The mystery chick is a gorgeous color! 😍

I'm gonna be so mad if Chrissy just messed up her clutch that's due in 3 days.
Oakley got off the nest with the 2 oldest chicks and Chrissy decided to leave her 8 developing eggs to sit on Oakley's 3 youngest chicks and unhatched eggs. I haven't been home for at least 3 hours, I have no idea when Chrissy got off her eggs. Her eggs were all cold. I put them all back where they're supposed to be now but who knows if Chrissy's chicks will hatch now.
Does anyone know how long eggs can be left out and still have a chance to hatch?

This is exactly why I prefer an incubator over broody hens.

I checked Chrissy's eggs and thankfully they're still moving inside. A blue looking silkie hatched under Oakley. Probably a chick from my blue cuckoo Smokey. If it's Smokey's it's a sexlinked pullet.

Oakley is officially off her nest with 5 chicks. 2 silkies, 2 mixes, and 1 mystery chick from the store.

Chrissy has caused SO much drama in the past 2 days. She's a great mother and she'll adopt anything that moves but that also means she is OBSESSED with Oakley's chicks. She completely abandoned her own 8 eggs to go steal Oakley's. After realizing there was no way I could keep this hen on her nest, I moved her to the silkie side of the coop to leave Oakley and her babies alone and got out my crappy old incubator to put her 8 eggs on day 19 into. After all, it's better than leaving them to die in the cold. Now I have no clue what will happen to Chrissy's eggs. I can only hope they'll still hatch after all they've been through.

Back
Top Bottom