Fairfax County, VA

What about raising gamebirds in FFC? I have coturnix quail. I do not live in FFC currently, did some years ago, and will probably be moving back into the area in the not too distant future. Any info would be great!

I live in woodbridge,Va. my neighbors to my left and right, have dogs that constently barking, they are allowed to this , but i am not permitted to have a few chicken which they do not make any trouble for anybody.what is wrong with that picture. You what. I decided to order chicks for this year, i am going to have my backyard chicken regardless of what these law makers think. this is my way to fight back. if every backyard chicken lovers to this. law makers will start to think again about this outrages law.

If anyone is close to Herndon, the Town of Herndon is having a public planning commission meeting tonight at 7 p.m. where the planning commission will be discussing changing the one chicken allowed in town to possibly four. We could use your support at this and future meeting where the final vote will be decided, especially if you are a vet or other chicken expert. Public will be allowed to speak for 3 min each. 765 Lynn St. Click on the Planning Commission date in this link for agenda: https://www.herndon-va.gov/Content/Government/Upcoming_Public_Hearings/default.aspx?cnlid=3572

Or message me for details: [email protected]

I just read an article on this in the Herndon Patch.
Council member Charlie Waddell said he was concerned about the animals' welfare. ...he also felt a lot of that size [10,000-square-foot] was too small, and keeping livestock [4 chicken maximum] in such an enclosed space is "tantamount to cruelty to animals."

Are you kidding me? Is he not aware of factory farming and those cages they cram egg-laying hens into one on top of the other? Maybe someone should reach out to him with some undercover MFA (Mercy For Animals) videos.

We have a Hens for Herndon Facebook page. We have given the town staff, planning commission, and council so much information about all the benefits of backyard chickens, and the terrible things about factory farming. Honestly, they don't have time to read it all, and they have preconceived notions about "dirty farm animals." We are a small group, fighting an even smaller contingent of naysayers, but the naysayers have the weight on the council. We really need a contingent of knowledgeable chicken folks, and Herndon residents who support this to show up, and/or write letters to ATTN: Planning Commission, Town Council and Staff, Subject: Hens for Herndon to [email protected]

I've seen some of the undercover MFA videos of what goes on at these factory farms and that was enough for me. The videos are not long and won't take much time to watch. By the way, in response to these videos, some states managed to pass legislation against these undercover investigations, punishing those who expose abusive conditions on factory farms. It's just insane to state that you are unsure about allowing chickens to be raised in backyards because it might be cruel to the animal to be cramped in a small space. Anyone who watches the undercover footage will see what it really means for an animal to be cramped and living in filth not to mention the deformities and diseases that result. I do buy cage free eggs but have no idea where those eggs really come from.

The Herndon Planning Commission has deferred the vote on the proposed amendment for a month. They have instructed the staff to contact 10 jurisdictions that allow chickens and see if there have been any complaints. Mostly they are concerned because a very small contingent of emotionally vociferous opponents have surfaced. We just keep telling them the good about having hens.

Herndon Town Council approved upping the one chicken allowed to four. Four hens are allowed on lots of 10,000 sq. ft or larger. There must be a 6 ft fence, coop and run area with 1/2" hardware cloth either buried 12" or apron 12", drain, and coop/run area must be 15 ft from property lines in the backyard, and 10 ft from home. Permit from town required.

Back
Top Bottom