Faverolles Thread

I was on ebay and noticed this ad for salmon faverolles. the seller claims they are show quality standard but to me they look very dark and the males have the white triangle on their wings. are they good birds?

Is it easier keeping multiple SF roos than it is with other breeds? I currently have 1 Lav Orp Roo with 23 hens plus my 13 young chicks. I would like to keep 1-2 SF cockerels from the chicks and wondering if this possible or a truly bad idea?

There's going to be a lot of factors involved - how you introduce them; how much space they have; how aggressive the Orpington is to the newcomers; etc. I would make sure to introduce them very slowly to give the resident cock time to get used to them and not see them as a threat. There's going to be issues when the Favs hit their horny teens no matter how accepted they are. Somebody gonna get their butt kicked from time to time.

I have two bantam cocks now that are father and son. I made sure to keep the chicks in their intro cage for a long time before I let them out. That reduced the fighting, but I think my older male is generally calm, and confident enough in his position not to be overly threatened by the younger bird. Still, he lets the younger one know who is the real boss, and is quick to correct him when he steps out of line.

There's going to be a lot of factors involved - how you introduce them; how much space they have; how aggressive the Orpington is to the newcomers; etc. I would make sure to introduce them very slowly to give the resident cock time to get used to them and not see them as a threat. There's going to be issues when the Favs hit their horny teens no matter how accepted they are. Somebody gonna get their butt kicked from time to time.

I have two bantam cocks now that are father and son. I made sure to keep the chicks in their intro cage for a long time before I let them out. That reduced the fighting, but I think my older male is generally calm, and confident enough in his position not to be overly threatened by the younger bird. Still, he lets the younger one know who is the real boss, and is quick to correct him when he steps out of line.

My current situation: I have one Lav Orp that is 2 yrs old. Previously he was the low guy in the pecking order with another Roo who I lost this past winter. I nowhave 13 3 week old chicks from which it is looking like I will have 8-10 boys. Currently, they are all together with the roo and 23 older hens. My coop space inside is aprox. 10 x 22 ft and outside run is 20 x 30 (aprox). They are also outside free ranging several hours per day. My current roo is fine with the current chicks. However, they end up spending a lot of time locked inside the coop during the winter due to large now accumulation and cold. With them all "coming of age" early spring, I dont want to deal with tons of hurt/bloody roos. I am trying to figure out if I want to even keep any Roos at this point or re-home but of course some of the lil boys are pulling at my heart strings right now.

I have a flock of 10 with 3-4 roosters. Two of the roosters are LF SF, the other 1-2 are Ameraucana. I know this is 2-3 too many roosters. I would love to keep one of the SF roosters and was wondering if anyone near southern NH would like the other SF rooster. The chicks were hatched at Morning Crow farms. They are now 3 months old and free ranging. They were raised on Green Mountain Organics. If anyone is interested, they may have the rooster for free. I would just like him to go to a good home. On the off change someone on this forum would like a blue Americana (P. Smith line) rooster, he is also 3 months old.

Hens are darker than I would want, but they may throw good colored male offspring. I will keep a darker hen that is good type for that reason, so it all about what you are breeding for.

I have a flock of 10 with 3-4 roosters. Two of the roosters are LF SF, the other 1-2 are Ameraucana. I know this is 2-3 too many roosters. I would love to keep one of the SF roosters and was wondering if anyone near southern NH would like the other SF rooster. The chicks were hatched at Morning Crow farms. They are now 3 months old and free ranging. They were raised on Green Mountain Organics. If anyone is interested, they may have the rooster for free. I would just like him to go to a good home. On the off change someone on this forum would like a blue Americana (P. Smith line) rooster, he is also 3 months old.
My aunt lives in southern NH. I'll check and see if she's interested!

Quote:
Wow! That's a lot of men in the house! Too many, I think, even with such a large coop and run area. Personally, I wouldn't have more than four total, but others may have better advice. My highest flock count was 31, with only two cocks, and I thought that was enough to keep the hens from being molested 24 hours a day. It also gave each male enough to do to herd the hens, and guard them, call them for food, etc. I wouldn't want to have more, but see what the others say. if I could, I'd have a whole flock of roosters! The LF Salmons are just so breathtaking! So, I know what you mean when you say it's hard to give them up!

I definitely won't be keeping all of the boys LOL I am just trying to figure out how many would be a good/safe number. Quite honestly, my experience with roos has been: they are always my favorites till they get to a year old then hell breaks out and I question why I have ANY!!! So including my LO Roo I am wondering about keeping say 2 of the boys? I just hope I can find homes for the others before winter! I am struggling with the fact that I would like to hang on to them long enough to see which have the better qualities and personalities while needing to have enough time to start finding homes for some of them. How do others handle this? (besides butchering)

I definitely won't be keeping all of the boys LOL I am just trying to figure out how many would be a good/safe number. Quite honestly, my experience with roos has been: they are always my favorites till they get to a year old then hell breaks out and I question why I have ANY!!! So including my LO Roo I am wondering about keeping say 2 of the boys? I just hope I can find homes for the others before winter! I am struggling with the fact that I would like to hang on to them long enough to see which have the better qualities and personalities while needing to have enough time to start finding homes for some of them. How do others handle this? (besides butchering)

My Easter hatch a long chicks turned out to be mostly boys. I had no problem selling the extra pullets, but the cockerels were a much harder sell. I gave one LF salmon fav away with a sale of four pullets. I still had eleven boys, so I built a make shift area for them out of a used pallet, some scrap lumber, and some scrap chicken wire. The "boys camp" is located at an edge of my garden, so they are tilling areas for me and fertilizing them. I have moved it twice now, and then planted flowers on the fresh plots. This way they don't harass the girls in the hen pen because one of them was starting to pick on one of his sisters.
Thankfully, I was able to sell five more of them as they were growing larger. A family bought them for tick control in their backyard, that way they can have chemical free pest control.
I moved one SF in with the three pullets I am keeping, and there are five boys left now. One of the ee I might also keep, just separated.
The rest either will be sold or given away if possible. I have an ad at my local feed store and online.
If they don't sell, I will probably wind up eating them. It's not as bad as it sounds, since they've lived a good healthy life, much better than a grocery store chicken. But that's why it's best to not get attached to Roos. Don't name them, whatever you do.
There are places locally that will process chickens for you for a couple dollars each. I don't have the set up to do it myself. But you can look into that if you have to. Hopefully they will sell or be re homed.

Back
Top Bottom