Faverolles Thread

Got a quick question about the faverolle. I know they are a very docile breed which is fantastic but I was curious if they are always so jumpy and easily frightened. I have 6 chicks that are about 4 weeks now and they get attention almost daily, but they still freak out when someone moves near them or walks up to them. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue

My Favs don't fly well. 4 foot fences aren't too difficult for them, but they are pretty content behind them. I do have a pair that likes to try and roost on the top bar of the garage pen (6 feet) but, alas, when the hay bales are stacked too short for a good jump off point and the ladder isn't leaning against it for that extra boost, the poor kids can't seem to get enough umph to make it that high!
lol.png
They are not strong fliers to heavy I think. My lighter breed hens can get out of our fence but the favs don't.

Got a quick question about the faverolle. I know they are a very docile breed which is fantastic but I was curious if they are always so jumpy and easily frightened. I have 6 chicks that are about 4 weeks now and they get attention almost daily, but they still freak out when someone moves near them or walks up to them. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this issue

No worries - I have had this experience with every hatch. It's almost like they need to grow into their brains or something. Just be patient, and persistent in your attention, and at about 4-5 months, they suddenly calm down. Then they can be very friendly.

PS - It's faverolles, with an "s," whether it's single or plural. But, thanks for spelling the rest of the word correctly!

Quick question for you all - how well do adult Favs fly? I have a 6ft fence and am hoping not to have to clip wings ( of course I was hoping for all pullets too
tongue.png
). We live in town and escaping chickens isn't always appreciated.

Thanks!
My LF fly as well as I do. I doubt you have much to worry about.

Wow - I finally found a breed that has a good temperament, lays a fair amount of eggs, doesn't fly well, I love the look of them and has local breeders
th.gif
I cannot tell you how happy I am right now
lol.png

haha mine are just 4 weeks old and today one of them pecked me when i was trying to grab it! lol ive never had a young chicken do that before. hopefully it won't happen when they're older. right now i don't mind it, i think it's cute

Quick question for you all - how well do adult Favs fly? I have a 6ft fence and am hoping not to have to clip wings ( of course I was hoping for all pullets too
tongue.png
). We live in town and escaping chickens isn't always appreciated.

Thanks!
Well, I do have a pair of girls that can and do, fly over a 6' chain link fence. Think if they are happy inside with enough room and plenty of food and such You should be fine….Just curious, is it a see through fence or solid? Might not matter if they don't know what they are missing.

am thinking that your chicks lighter, darker cream color base could be that Your chicks came from 2 different trios. Should have some young girls soon if these are boys.

No worries - I have had this experience with every hatch. It's almost like they need to grow into their brains or something. Just be patient, and persistent in your attention, and at about 4-5 months, they suddenly calm down. Then they can be very friendly.

PS - It's faverolles, with an "s," whether it's single or plural. But, thanks for spelling the rest of the word correctly!
So happy to hear its not just me that has had this issue
bow.gif
. I was hoping it would be something they would eventually grow out of, they are super friendly right now when I sit and finally get them calmed down. So I'm hopeful that they stay really nice. I've spent so much time with every chick I've raised this spring. It really shows and others are noticing how much it changes the birds temperament. I can actually pet and touch the older ones whenever I want without them getting upset! Can't do that with the hens I was given... Hand raising your animals is certainly the best when it comes to livestock
jumpy.gif

Welp, seems like I got 4 faverolles hens and 7 Roos. Seems like this is the type of ratio with all my hatchings. Anyway, I guess I'll be eating 5 of those Roos at least they're meat birds :/

Back
Top Bottom