Feather lice/mites

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I recently got back from the vet with one of my hens to treat bumblefoot. I noticed in the papers I got afterwards that they did detect feather mites/lice during examination, but the vet didn't bring it up. It made me wonder do chickens need to be 100% free from lice/mites? I feel its inevitable they have at least a couple lice/mites on them since they live outdoors.

Currently my small flock of 4 hens don't really look like their having any issues with lice/mites and are acting normal. I do provide a dust bathing area with some Permethrin dusted onto it. Do I need to make more of an effort to keep my hens lice/mite free?

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC.
Treat your birds and housing to rid them of the bugs. Repeat in 5-7 day intervals.

Interesting that the vet didn't distinguish between lice or mites. But yes, you will want to try eliminating parasites before you end up with an infestation that is hard to get under control.

You can find Permethrin based poultry dust or spray at stores like TSC.
Treat your birds and housing to rid them of the bugs. Repeat in 5-7 day intervals.

Interesting that the vet didn't distinguish between lice or mites. But yes, you will want to try eliminating parasites before you end up with an infestation that is hard to get under control.
Will permethrin take care of scaly leg mites, too?

Will permethrin take care of scaly leg mites, too?

Have read of folks who mix the powder into petroleum jelly and rub it up under the scales.
Could probably use the liquid and just spray the legs, but it might take longer.
Spraying the legs may be helpful, but it will not penetrate the scales where SLM live (underneath the scales). Spray may not go up under the scales where the mites are located either.
Vaseline or oils worked up under the scales of the legs is an effective treatment for SLM, you would want to keep up with it at least once a week for several weeks. The oils/vasleine helps smother the mites.

Spraying the legs may be helpful, but it will not penetrate the scales where SLM live (underneath the scales). Spray may not go up under the scales where the mites are located either.
Vaseline or oils worked up under the scales of the legs is an effective treatment for SLM, you would want to keep up with it at least once a week for several weeks. The oils/vasleine helps smother the mites.
ok. dreading treating my brahma. I will have to trim those fluffy feet I suppose, a two person job. I call her the drama brahma. lol

ok. dreading treating my brahma. I will have to trim those fluffy feet I suppose, a two person job. I call her the drama brahma. lol
Well, you can always dip her feet in oil. I've seen where some folks do that.

I'm not sure about trimming feathers, I don't have nor do I ever plan on having feather footed chickens.

Back
Top Bottom