Feeding chickens potatoes?

ilovemychickies

Songster
12 Years
Oct 10, 2007
Just north of Dallas Tx.
Hi all! I have a potato that was left over from last night's dinner and I was wondering if it's ok to give it to the girls. It was only boiled and the skin is still on it. Thanks!

Ashleigh
big_smile.png

Quote:
Can you explain this? I wasn't aware it could be a probelm.
I have fed raw potatoes/peelings for years and I have had no problems. I chop the peeling up small though because if they don't consume them and the peels lay around the pen they can cause botulism. Is this what you meant or are the peelings really poison to them?

I don't believe that they are poison, although potato eyes ARE poisonous, even to us. Chickens have a difficult time digesting raw potato peels, but if they are cooked soft, I believe they'd be fine.

As long as the chickens aren't bored or desprate, they generally wont eat enough of "poisonous" things to poison themselves. Mine free range and piles of raw peels go out all the time... maybe one or two strips get nibbled on... but the rest are just left to decompose on the ground in the garden they will lose free range on in abou 3 months.

Cooked though, that's great! Mash it with some corn and it will be a goner.

Thank y'all so much! I just got back inside from giving it to them, they loved it! I mixed in some vanilla yogurt since some of them are molting right now. One of my girls got yogurt and potatoes on her beak.
tongue.png
Silly girl. Thanks again y'all!

Back
Top Bottom