Female duck has a bald spot behind her neck because of overmating? options?

Ica94

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
My female pekin duck has a bald spot behind her neck due to over mating by my one male pekin. They are free ranged ducks so seperating her and the male duck will be difficult. My male duck tries to mate with the wild mallards but he is too slow to catch them (its a bit funny) so juliet is his only option. is there a way i could cover neck to prevent the feathers from falling? Getting another female duck is not option...too many musvovy ducks in our pond :/ options please....

My female pekin duck has a bald spot behind her neck due to over mating by my one male pekin. They are free ranged ducks so seperating her and the male duck will be difficult. My male duck tries to mate with the wild mallards but he is too slow to catch them (its a bit funny) so juliet is his only option. is there a way i could cover neck to prevent the feathers from falling? Getting another female duck is not option...too many musvovy ducks in our pond
hmm.png
options please....
UNless you get him more females this won't end and poor female will be really hurting. Are the Muscovy's feral? will they not pay any attention to your drake? You could try using some vet wrap but you'd have to be extremely careful it didn't shrink in the pond and choke your duck or the drake could get it off and choke to death on it if he or anyone swallowed it. There is a member now dealing with her duck who ate a single nylon hose she left in her shoe so yes they will eat just about anything.

Yea the muscovies are wild, they don't belong to me. My two ducks just share the pond with them. They don't interact much, usually my male pekin will charge at them and fight them. My female pekin too. I was wondering if i should put a spray on her neck that i got from tsc? Its for scrapes and wounds for poultry. Im really debating the second female duck...its not our lake and its already crowded with my two ducks, one goose, and all those muscovies in the lake :[

With great respect for you and your situation, your duck's life is in danger and even if you protected her head and neck, he is overdoing it. Can you confine him for a while? No, he won't like it, but her life depends on you.

Will buying an extra mallard help? Im considering that..if it comes down to that

Since he is a pekin he is a lot bigger than a mallard and he could injure her. Why can't you get more females ducks his size? Also mallards fly so you will have to clip wings.

I will try to get another pekin female. Will it be hard to introduce her to the group?

I heard some ppl rehome their female and get another drake so they don't have the problem anymore. I might do that too, I don't want Juliet to keep being abused like this -.-

I heard some ppl rehome their female and get another drake so they don't have the problem anymore. I might do that too, I don't want Juliet to keep being abused like this -.-
That is an option. It's easier to rehome females than males. My 2 male pekins did well together by themselves. Whichever way you go you will have to introduce them slowly. It's taken almost 2 weeks to completely integrate my 2 new flock members. 1 is a female and 1 is a drake. My girls are so mean to the new drake but he manned up today and put them in their place. Temporary fencing works really well to introduce new flock members. You can also use the temporary fencing now to give your girl a break.

Will buying an extra mallard help? Im considering that..if it comes down to that

Yes, buying another hen will help the problem immensely! I'm still not quite sure why separating isn't an option. You say they're free range, does that mean you don't offer them ANY protection whatsoever?

Back
Top Bottom