First Home Eggs Adopt-an-Egg Hatch a Long!

glad you have a couple days to play with the babies. So you didn't keep any of them?

My first few hatches this year (well think started in Nov or Dec) were like that. I hatched for someone else had the babies for a couple days then they went to their homes. I missed them and not having time with them. LOL Excited this time to have time with the chicks since they are mine. I will have to sell some of them but since I only have a few of each breed I can't sell them until I know the sex since I want at least 1 hen from each breed. LOL
This hatch was just to check fertility so we can ethically sell hatching eggs (um, there was no problem with our roos doinf their job!) 😂 I have a hatched planned for after Easter for a few customers, then a hatch with my class at school, and that should get me to our chick order in June.

Although….hub said maybe next year we can keep them and grow them out to sell some of the pullets, keep a pullet or two, and eat the cockerels…it is way too early to raise babies to 8 weeks here in NY, as we don’t keep any chick over a week old in the house, so if we plan right that can be next years idea (I’ll just hatch a batch a little later!)

I just absolutely love hatching, so even if I can’t keep them I do enjoy the process and seeing the babies hatch! 😊

This hatch was just to check fertility so we can ethically sell hatching eggs (um, there was no problem with our roos doinf their job!) 😂 I have a hatched planned for after Easter for a few customers, then a hatch with my class at school, and that should get me to our chick order in June.

Although….hub said maybe next year we can keep them and grow them out to sell some of the pullets, keep a pullet or two, and eat the cockerels…it is way too early to raise babies to 8 weeks here in NY, as we don’t keep any chick over a week old in the house, so if we plan right that can be next years idea (I’ll just hatch a batch a little later!)

I just absolutely love hatching, so even if I can’t keep them I do enjoy the process and seeing the babies hatch! 😊
I agree on loving hatching! That is why I was so excited when a guy from my town that got one of the roo's I hatched last year asked if I had an incubator then asked if he brought me eggs if I would hatch them for him!!!!!!!! I didn't even charge him which I think may have horrified my husband a bit at first. LOL But it was so fun to hatch them and watch them, then have babies a couple days then start over again and not have to worry about finding homes for all the roo's (I am horrible and can't eat them, which is dumb since I eat chicken. LOL) and extra pullets......... The guy did give me $20 for the 2nd one and $10 for the 3rd which was really sweet.

after my first set of chicks in 2021 I don't keep them in the house over a week, but I did make a brooder inside my coop so put them out there to do the look no see with the rest till they are 4-6 weeks then start integrating them. It was more of a temp space but this year I asked my husband to build a "wall" with HWC for me and a couple doors so guess we see how that goes this weekend since they will move out there in a bit under 2 weeks most likely. LOL Hopefully being in MA I won't be TOO nervous to move them out since my house brooder is just a tote now since I don't keep them in long so they won't fit in there for too long depending on how many hatch....... LOL

Ok thanks! What does she look like?
Pic for you!
1678798191174.jpeg

I found out today that I had viable eggs with my hens and half-legbar rooster! I had a chicken sitter stop by while I was out of town during mid-February. She kept the eggs and put some in an incubator. She sent a message today that 5 chicks hatched from my eggs!

View attachment 3432931
That’s great! So she will have blue & green egg layers, depending on what hens’ eggs she took, right?

That’s great! So she will have blue & green egg layers, depending on what hens’ eggs she took, right?

There are two that appear to be Cream Legbar pullets, one other "could" be a male legbar, and two have no pattern. I don't pretend to understand the genetics... I "think" the chicks plain chicks could be brown egg layers if they came from a brown egg. Since the rooster is a hybrid, he could give either a white or blue gene. Then, if the allele for brown comes from the rooster and there'd be brown eggs for any brown hen. All the blue eggs will be blue or green eggs (if they got the brown allele)

Back
Top Bottom