First Silkie Hatch-a-long!

Pics

Smashlee83

Songster
Apr 9, 2021
Houston
I'm 9 days into my very first incubator hatch and so far all 12 are progressing. I've got 10 silkies and 2 cochin mixes set. I just went through all eggs for the first time and saw that all eggs have movement. What should I look for moving forward? I can't wait to see what I get. Roo is a naked neck, I am so hoping for some fluffy NN's.

I'm 9 days into my very first incubator hatch and so far all 12 are progressing. I've got 10 silkies and 2 cochin mixes set. I just went through all eggs for the first time and saw that all eggs have movement. What should I look for moving forward? I can't wait to see what I get. Roo is a naked neck, I am so hoping for some fluffy NN's.

Congrats on your first incubation! 😊 Here are a few articles you may find helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/a-simple-guide-to-hatching-chicken-eggs.74574/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/development-of-a-chicken-embryo-day-by-day.72537/

I have been hatching for 2 months now. All successful hatches except one. I just learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Mark your air cells with a pencil. I was not keeping an eye on those and had a chick die yesterday because it didnt pip and the air cell was gone. So keep an eye on that if you dont see a pip hole on hatch day. I couldnt revive her and she was the color i was waiting for.

We're on day 15. Lockdown is coming. I've got shelf liner for the bottom of the incubator. Got most of my brooder supplies ready. Save a chick on standby. Does everyone give electrolytes at first or only if they seem weak?

IMG_2354.jpg

We're on day 15. Lockdown is coming. I've got shelf liner for the bottom of the incubator. Got most of my brooder supplies ready. Save a chick on standby. Does everyone give electrolytes at first or only if they seem weak?

View attachment 2978830
I put a little Nutradrench in the water for the first 24 hours after hatch. Probably not necessary but I do it anyway.😊

I have been hatching for 2 months now. All successful hatches except one. I just learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Mark your air cells with a pencil. I was not keeping an eye on those and had a chick die yesterday because it didnt pip and the air cell was gone. So keep an eye on that if you dont see a pip hole on hatch day. I couldnt revive her and she was the color i was waiting for.
Every hatch is an opportunity to learn something for the next time. Sorry you lost the chick.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom