Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

I loooooove incubation experiments!! I'm not a mad scientist, but I won't hesitate to seize an opportunity to learn something.

I had a broody that gave up on her eggs this year and I figured the embryos were dead. They weren't! Glad I had the incubator running! Only 1 out of 4 was dead when I candled and the rest hatched successfully with no problems.

They were around day 17 and it was 24 hours max between the broody and incubator. I had wondered if they were just at a less delicate stage of development, but it seems you've cleared that up for me!

60 hours is CRAZY!!! I think you have every reason to be optimistic. Just out of curiosity, what temperatures were the eggs exposed to during the time before you put them in the incubator?

Hi lasco! :frow Thanks for dropping in.

Twenty four hours! That's a longer period of being cold than any eggs I've had that were that age. Sorry to hear that one embryo didn't make it. But it's really great to hear that 4 were alive and hatched successfully! :thumbsup

I figured my marked eggs would be advanced...but I had no idea they'd be ready to hatch. When I saw the one fellow had pipped, I felt bad that I'd taken them away. I thought the pipped chick might be dead. I was pleasantly surprised when they were alive! Like you, I wasn't sure how delicate this stage was.

I do remember reading when I first joined about someone who had Balut out for a day or two for a customer. When the customer didn't show, they put them back in the incubator and the had approx. a 75% hatch rate. :woot

I've had broody hens play musical nests and they left the one nest unattended. The embryos were approximately a week old. They spent about 11 hours in 6C (43F) temps. I put the broody back on them. In 2 hours all the embryos were back dancing. Every egg hatched for her.

To answer your question about the temperature, I looked it up. It was about 70F that day. I left the eggs sitting in the sun and wind on top of the waterer from 2pm until supper and then I moved them into the kitchen. I candled the majority of the eggs at 2 am and put any that looked like they were developing...into the incubator. Most looked about a week old.

It got down to 11C (54F) at nights and the eggs were in pails close to the open window. :th

That's good info. I imagine there are lots of eggs that could've hatched successfully if given the chance after being exposed to less than ideal conditions. I didn't expect that mine were viable, but I'm so darn nosey! I always eggtopsy quitters, so I candled to make sure they had expired before cracking them open. To my surprise they were very much alive!

I've read accounts of people incubating store bought fertilized eggs that have been refrigerated. I can see how that works as long as they don't freeze entirely. The surprising part is that they aren't treated like hatching eggs and still manage to hatch. They just sit there in the carton without being turned, very low humidity, etc. Of course, the hatch rate isn't usually good and a higher rate of deformities have been noted. I'm still impressed. Lol.

Hi lasco! :frow Thanks for dropping in.

Twenty four hours! That's a longer period of being cold than any eggs I've had that were that age. Sorry to hear that one embryo didn't make it. But it's really great to hear that 4 were alive and hatched successfully! :thumbsup

I figured my marked eggs would be advanced...but I had no idea they'd be ready to hatch. When I saw the one fellow had pipped, I felt bad that I'd taken them away. I thought the pipped chick might be dead. I was pleasantly surprised when they were alive! Like you, I wasn't sure how delicate this stage was.

I do remember reading when I first joined about someone who had Balut out for a day or two for a customer. When the customer didn't show, they put them back in the incubator and the had approx. a 75% hatch rate. :woot

I've had broody hens play musical nests and they left the one nest unattended. The embryos were approximately a week old. They spent about 11 hours in 6C (43F) temps. I put the broody back on them. In 2 hours all the embryos were back dancing. Every egg hatched for her.

To answer your question about the temperature, I looked it up. It was about 70F that day. I left the eggs sitting in the sun and wind on top of the waterer from 2pm until supper and then I moved them into the kitchen. I candled the majority of the eggs at 2 am and put any that looked like they were developing...into the incubator. Most looked about a week old.

It got down to 11C (54F) at nights and the eggs were in pails close to the open window. :th
What is a Balut? :oops:

Back
Top Bottom