Five Tough Chicks and TWO Amazing Embryos!

That's good info. I imagine there are lots of eggs that could've hatched successfully if given the chance after being exposed to less than ideal conditions. I didn't expect that mine were viable, but I'm so darn nosey! I always eggtopsy quitters, so I candled to make sure they had expired before cracking them open. To my surprise they were very much alive!

I've read accounts of people incubating store bought fertilized eggs that have been refrigerated. I can see how that works as long as they don't freeze entirely. The surprising part is that they aren't treated like hatching eggs and still manage to hatch. They just sit there in the carton without being turned, very low humidity, etc. Of course, the hatch rate isn't usually good and a higher rate of deformities have been noted. I'm still impressed. Lol.
But that's how one finds stuff out right? I don't do eggtopsies all the time but I do them quite often. I've read of refrigerated eggs hatching as well.
ummm @KikisGirls the balut is usually a day 23ish duck

:sick

i actually work with a guy that has a philippino wife and SHE wont even touch it
Balut is not my forte...lol.
Wow, what strong little babies. I heard in a book that someone threw some eggs on a compost pile and it was so warm that three weeks later a bunch of baby chicks came out of the compost. Talk about being surprised!
That would surprise me too! laughing.gif
i think that @casportpony was incubating eggs for a few days -changed her mind took them out, left them on the counter for a few days then changed her mind and put them back in and still had a good hatch rate

but i could be remembering it wrong too
Perhaps if she sees this she can add her experience ;) @casportpony
If it's someone else...it's all good. Heck, I reread my first posts on here and I didn't get my own post correct. I had to go back and edit but I used strike-through and left my mistake in. :rolleyes: (It's not 20 hours...it's 60 hours):he Sheesh!
(In my defense, I'd been up about 26 hours when I wrote that...lol)

Update: It's been a week since I set the two eggs that had been chillin'...literally for 60 hours. I candled Sunday and was very pleased with how the two eggs looked. They appeared to have a good set of veins. I candled last night, and I'm feel a bit concerned. I'm not completely certain why. I'm thinking possibly the air cells.

I really have to make a point to turn the eggs. The eggs got turned on Thursday, on Friday, on Sunday and last night. That's only four times. I do hatch eggs without turning...but I don't want this to be the cause of death if that happens.

I cracked out the cannon...but it's not the camera for the job either. I'm charging my old cell...it must be the camera that takes clear egg pics.

Below are all the eggs with embryos that were taken away from the broody hens last Saturday. The two eggs in the basket between the lights are the eggs that survived the 60 hours cold. The rest of the eggs you see are the embryos I candled and set added to the incubator Sunday after the first 12 hours being cold. Al the 12 hour eggs are developing fine and I have no worries about them. They'll all be fine.

IMG_7826.JPG

IMG_7827.JPG

That's the only pic that is worth posting. This is one of the 60 hour eggs.

I'm considering that I'll have to add both eggs to a container and keep the humidity higher in it for them because they sat out losing moisture for 60 hours. I plan on candling again tonight and taking better note of the situation. I also hope to get clear pics worthy of posting. :fl

The suspense is killing me!

Speaking of candling pics, which are next to impossible, I really wish I'd tried to take some of the eggs I candled for lockdown on Monday. I've never been able to see so much when candling. They were super white Ancona eggs and I could see EVERYTHING! It was like the next best thing to those folks hatching eggs out of the shell (which my father is determined for me to try but I just don't think I'm THAT nosey). My Ancona eggs have pips now and they don't seem particularly thin. Certainly not as thin as I expected after that flashlight peep show.

The suspense is killing me!

Speaking of candling pics, which are next to impossible, I really wish I'd tried to take some of the eggs I candled for lockdown on Monday. I've never been able to see so much when candling. They were super white Ancona eggs and I could see EVERYTHING! It was like the next best thing to those folks hatching eggs out of the shell (which my father is determined for me to try but I just don't think I'm THAT nosey). My Ancona eggs have pips now and they don't seem particularly thin. Certainly not as thin as I expected after that flashlight peep show.
Oooh, I crave to have white, large fowl eggs for that reason. *sigh*
That's very cool that you could see everything. I wonder if white would display well in a photo. My current cell won't take pics of blue egg candling pics and it won't photograph well against a black background. Frustrating.:he

I think at this point, I'm leaving the out-of-shell experience to those more inclined. I haven't been able to go full term incubation with a cracked egg...let alone hatch one...lol. It certainly would be incredibly amazing to be able to do it.:clap

Good morning Thursday...one week later! :frow

I just candled and I don't know why I was worried. They look fine to me right now.
Note: The eggs got turned TWICE today. Imagine that! :yesss: :woot

Here's a pic of the second 60 hour egg.
IMG_7841.JPG

20170627_170739.jpg

And here's a pic of the five chicks, taken two days ago on June 27th. They've been healthy and appear to be developing nicely with no discernable issues.:yesss:

This is very cool (plus I adore OEGBs)! Can't wait to see what happens! Your hatched babies are so beautiful. Fingers crossed for your little battlers.

I keep finches and candling their eggs is amazing, even in bright light, because the shells are so thin. I love seeing that tiny little heart beating - just amazing. So different to quail eggs where you're lucky if you catch a glimpse of some good veins!

This is very cool (plus I adore OEGBs)! Can't wait to see what happens! Your hatched babies are so beautiful. Fingers crossed for your little battlers.

I keep finches and candling their eggs is amazing, even in bright light, because the shells are so thin. I love seeing that tiny little heart beating - just amazing. So different to quail eggs where you're lucky if you catch a glimpse of some good veins!
I love the OEGBs too! :love I never thought I'd like them SO much...lol. Thank you. I'm hoping I don't mess up somehow...like accidently dropping one of the 60 hour eggs or something. That would be disheartening.:th

Oh wow...you're much braver than I am! I'd be afraid of either putting my finger through one of the finch eggs or dropping it. Those eggs look so delicate! Seeing the tiny heart beating would be very special. :love

Back
Top Bottom