FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Quote: When I take any birds I usually put a lot of hay in the bottom of cages that aren't off of the ground in case I don't sell some of the birds and I have to bring any back home. So far I have had no problems. If you have a place like a Tractor Supply Company, maybe you could start a swap there. I started some in my area. Years ago we had the swaps at our farm but have have relocated to TSC and our local Rural King. I obtained permission from the store managers.

When I take any birds I usually put a lot of hay in the bottom of cages that aren't off of the ground in case I don't sell some of the birds and I have to bring any back home. So far I have had no problems. If you have a place like a Tractor Supply Company, maybe you could start a swap there. I started some in my area. Years ago we had the swaps at our farm but have have relocated to TSC and our local Rural King. I obtained permission from the store managers.
Thanks! I'll look into it. The closest TSC is about 45 mins. I'm kind in no Chickens land, in a town full of "city folk". :/

I have a quick question.

I have 7 - 27 week old laying hens (EE & RIR) and 5 - 17 week non-layers (BR). For the past 2 days we've found a broken egg with the shell eaten. Now I assume this is happening from one of the laying hens who has a calcium deficiency. I have free-offered oyster shell & grit but the girls (and roo) aren't eating out of the bins. They eat it when I mix it with their feed, they just don't take it out of the boxes.

Q1: Am I right with the calcium deficiency diagnosis?
Q2: Do I just keep mixing chips with food or will they eventually figure it out?

thx

@AlHawkCalcium deficiency, maybe, but I imagine that would be accompanied by soft shell eggs. I think its more likely that you have someone who has learned to like eating egg and just ate the shell as an extra treat. Collect your eggs sooner if you can. Chicken Chick has a great article to help stop egg eaters. I mix and offer in free bin. Keep us posted. Good luck and happy 4th!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/10/egg-eating-chickens-how-to-break-habit.html?m=1

Last edited:
I have a couple of ideas for you.
What you might have is an egg eater. Put some hard fake eggs in the boxes and that will help. Also pick eggs up a number of times during the day so they don't have a chance to break them.
Keep putting out oyster shell, they will eat it when they need it. I defiantly won't put crushed egg shells in for them until you get the egg eater under control. If you are worried you can get a feed that has extra calcium in it ,but mixing it in with the feed wont really work.

It looks like Cinnamon is now Cena. He is ruining the flock. He doesn't crow yet but at 16 weeks every hen is following him around and he has begun pecking at anyone who picks up the hens for their daily petting. The 6 and 7 year old Henkeepers only find this amusing for now. He has also begun objecting to his own daily petting and pampering as Mrs. Henkeepers favorite. Any advice on making sure this "pecking" doesn't escalate into something that will get him an appointment with a machete?

It looks like Cinnamon is now Cena. He is ruining the flock. He doesn't crow yet but at 16 weeks every hen is following him around and he has begun pecking at anyone who picks up the hens for their daily petting. The 6 and 7 year old Henkeepers only find this amusing for now. He has also begun objecting to his own daily petting and pampering as Mrs. Henkeepers favorite. Any advice on making sure this "pecking" doesn't escalate into something that will get him an appointment with a machete?

Pick him up and if he pecks at you take his comb and bend his head down to his chest. If he resists hold it until he stops. This is showing him you are the alpha. If he continues to peck at you then pick him up and hold his head to his chest until he stops resisting.

Last edited:
There are times when I might find a broken egg in a nest box but that doesn't mean I have an egg eater. Most often times if I have a girl that continually breaks eggs. I move her to a different coop and usually that does the trick. I know many people don't have multiple coops. Maybe a chicken tractor.

Pick him up and if he pecks at you take his comb and bend his head down to his chest. If he resists hold it until he stops. This is showing him you are the alpha. If he continues to peck at you then pick him up and hold his head to his chest until he stops resisting.
Thank you, Cmom. We will give it a go today.

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure where to post this to. I live in Cape Coral, Florida and I've run into a bit of a problem. Code enforcement is very strict up down here, but I was told multiple times by many people that you could keep chickens in Cape Coral as long as a child in the family is in 4-H. I have gotten myself into a bit of a tight spot as I rescued two chickens and now am finding out that it was all rumor and that chickens are not allowed in any way. I've already started to join 4-H so I have that, but I'm not allowed to keep my babies.

I'm going to keep them for as long as I can before I get turned in/caught, but I need some help finding a place for my chickens in case I can't keep them with me anymore. I've been looking at some chicken ranches but they all seem to just kill/eat the roosters if there are any, and one even told me that they use them for bobcat traps. I could never leave my babies in a place like that.

I have what we think is one rooster and one mystery, but they are the sweetest little chickens ever. They follow me around the yard and cuddle with me. They sleep on me and like to have their necks scratched. I love them so much and I don't want them to get eaten or killed, especially not by being ripped apart by a bobcat.

I'm willing to pay for all of their expenses, and will provide all the food/toys/treats for them. I will even get a coop for them to keep them separate from the other chickens. They grew up together so they are quite happy to just be off by themselves.

I'm not sure if it will even be needed, but I am so terrified of my chickens being killed. If anyone has any recommendations for places they could stay if worse comes to worse that would be wonderful.

Thank you so much for your help in advance.

Back
Top Bottom